cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Output Settings

anap
Up to speed

Please could someone tell me if the Video Output Settings have been corrected in the V6. i.e. Do they now work like they are described in the info screen or are they like the TiVo but with extra 2160 settings?

659 REPLIES 659

@hallra wrote:

Here is that post:

I can see the original of that too, message #350 a few posts earlier in the thread, are you sure it was deleted?

Andre

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

all virgin HD broadcasts are in 1080i

Also My V6 produces a noticeably better picture then my old Tivo

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@dannylau wrote:

Wasn't the originally referenced V6 bug with SD material though, where even if you ask the V6 to pass-through 576i, it still upscales and outputs as progressive - whereas many TVs could do a better job than the V6 does.

Andre

@andrewilley wrote:

@hallra wrote:

Here is that post:

I can see the original of that too, message #350 a few posts earlier in the thread, are you sure it was deleted?

Andre

Strange, it now shows for me...

It definitely came up as a blocked post in the block post listings under my account and it had disappeared from this thread.

very strange 

@dannylau wrote:

I’m sorry dannylau, how can you be 100% sure, please show me the technical proof. 🙂

This statement says that the picture on your display improves from your perspective... 

- All that states is that on your display it looks better to you, it doesn’t state what resolution the picture arrived at the V6 box, what processing/upscaling/etc did the V6 box and your TV performed before it was displayed.

You claim to be a "a highly experienced senior global IT engineer" but provide no insight into VM's way of working. You are aware of Langley's compression of TV content prior to redistribution, aren't you?

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

@hallra wrote:

@dannylau wrote:

I’m sorry dannylau, how can you be 100% sure, please show me the technical proof. 🙂

This statement says that the picture on your display improves from your perspective..

I understand why you say its very difficult to prove what feed Virgin provides but I still don't understand why you say 'all video is 720p'. 

@hallra wrote:

Hi Crypticc,

I’ve looked at those links you posted... is there some detailed information on what those graphs mean? 

When you say channel information out of date, does that refer to the graphs or the channel names on the V6? 

Names

----------------------------------------------------------

2020 Tivo-scaling bug (nearly resolved)

Virgin-TV-V6 Video-Output-Settings

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

You claim to be a "a highly experienced senior global IT engineer" but provide no insight into VM's way of working. You are aware of Langley's compression of TV content prior to redistribution, aren't you?

Hmm, interesting and rather personal attack on me without any knowledge of  me whatsoever.

I have an insight about what might be happening due to the work I do, I explained what possibly could be happening, I also explained why it can’t be proven either way.

- No one can give an insight to what Virgin do as we do not work for them and their transmissions are encrypted so no one can inspect it.

- Most people who working for them won’t know either. The only people who will have an insight into how the design and implementation of solution will be 4th level engineers, which is the level I work at, though unfortunately not for Virgin.

You on the other hand, have just attacked my character on baseless ill-informed assumptions you have made, enough said, your mesaage is just noise.

Hi GMjh,

when the output format is set to ‘ALL’ on the V6 box, this means (according to the manual), that the resolution isn’t upscaled and the signal is passed to the TV in whatever resolution was received.

- From memory, the ‘All’ option is what is displayed if all output formats are selected, I don’t think there is an ‘All’ check box.

When I have checked what resolution my TV receives, it shows 720p.

Hence, logically, it doesn’t take much to conclude, that what is being received by the V6 box is 720p.

Hope that makes sense?