Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin 360 Eithernet issues

Quidzilla
Joining in

Hi everyone,

anyone out there than can help!

I have recently got 360 and hub 4 as part of the volt package. However since I have set it up my box comes up with various issues from try again later to multiple devices streaming at once so unable to play. Also requesting to record anything doesn’t happen just says check later. What I have found is if I connect the 360 main box via WiFi instead of using a cable it works fine. However as soon as I connect it again with a cable it stops working. I have tried rebooting the device, using another cable that I know works, using a different port of the back of the hub. Still with issues. Also when I have run a test on the site it comes up with a smart card issue for both my mini and 360 boxes. I have followed what it says to fix that but still no joy either.

any ideas of where I can get more help will be great.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you proven that both the Ethernet cable you're using, and the Hub port, work ok with other devices?

Without knowing the specifics of the test you're running, I'm sceptical it's going to spot the cause of a 360 <--> Hub connectivity problem.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

23 REPLIES 23

Quidzilla
Joining in

Just to add one of the error message codes I get when hard wired to the hub 4 is 

CS3300

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cancel while you can. Trust me 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you proven that both the Ethernet cable you're using, and the Hub port, work ok with other devices?

Without knowing the specifics of the test you're running, I'm sceptical it's going to spot the cause of a 360 <--> Hub connectivity problem.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

This is what I have tried.

I have a hub 4 and a 360 box and mini box

My hub 4 and 360 box are in the living room therefore I want to hard wire them for connection. The mini box is upstairs and will be connected via WiFi.

I  first used the Ethernet cable that came in my self install box from virgin to connect 360 box to hub. It seemed to be working fine to start with as installed the update and after a few minutes the tv came on. 

at this point I went upstairs and connected the mini box to my other tv and then proceeded to connect it to the hub via WiFi. Again this seemed to be working fine, digital level was at 77% and passed all the virgin checks like hd ect.

it was only when I started to series link some programs on the upstairs tv I noticed issues. It kept saying that the 360 box was not connected or switched off. I went to check this out and the main box was on. Thinking maybe at this point the boxes needed time to sinc together I left it for a while. Later that evening I decided to try to series link but this time setting them up downstairs but again was getting a message saying check back later to see if series link has worked. Also at this point trying to use any app like iPlayer kept crashing and giving me that error code that I have provided above. I tried the same as above on the mini box to find that it still was saying check to see if box was on or connected. However on the upstairs tv I was able to connect and use apps.

I have done the whole turn off, turn on reset scenarios but still having similar issues. The only fix I have found to all of this is to connect the main box wirelessly and everything works as it should. However as soon as I plug a Ethernet cable in these issues all start again. I have tried virgin cables my own cables but still same thing every time.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Quidzilla wrote:

However as soon as I plug a Ethernet cable in these issues all start again. I have tried virgin cables my own cables but still same thing every time.

Comprehensive troubleshooting, but are you always using the same Ethernet port on the hub? It does sound like a dodgy Ethernet connection - you've rules out the cable by the sounds, but have you done the same with the hub port?

Sorry forgot to say that, yes tried all 4 ports on back of hub. They all work with other devices ok but not with 360 box

It may sound stupid and I may have missed it if you have said somewhere, but when you have connected the ethernet cable I would have thought that would have overridden the wifi connection have you gone to Settings, network and changed the connection.

You would be correct, only way to get on WiFi is to unplug cable. As soon as cable connects it switches to that instead of a WiFi connection and then the issues begin. Disconnect cable and go in settings to change it back to WiFi and problems go away. 

So without reading the full thread can you access apps on the main box when the ethernet cable is connected to the main box and its just the link between the 2 boxes that doesn't work. 

Edited to add that I was thinking the 360 was thinking it was still connected by wifi.