cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No hair left to pull ...!

Gbolton
Joining in

I recently received the 'switchover to fibre phone service' email. We have a couple of extensions, one of which is at the other end of the house where the hub resides. I have now spent 1 hour on the 150 number trying to find someone I can talk to regarding a technician visit. I have had no luck so can anyone advise how I go about this?

Why do VM always have to make things so difficult for their customers?

7 REPLIES 7

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Ask VM (via the VM forum team on here, when they reply to this topic) to modify your home phone wiring so you can use your existing landline extension sockets via the phone connection from the VM hub.

VM should offer to do this free of charge for you as part of the switchover process.

Make sure they make modifications to your phone wiring so you can keep each piece of equipment in the same place (rather than the offer which sometimes crops up on here to move the hub to a different location).

Modifying the phone wiring may require some changes to internal cables in the home. How much work is involved will depend on existing locations of equipment and cable routes alongside any aesthetic considerations.

Refer here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

Do I need to book a technician visit? You’ll need to book a free technician visit if...

• You rely on your landline for accessibility needs or don’t have a mobile to make an emergency call – we’ll provide you with an Emergency Back Up Line so you’re always able to call emergency services.
• You’ve got connected devices such as a burglar alarm linked to a control centre, use a telecare device, or have other phones connected to extension sockets. You’ll need to contact your provider and let them know about the switch if you have any of these to make sure they’re compatible with a fibre service.
• The Hub and your home phone can’t be placed near each other.

Alternatively, a cordless phone system allows you to use phones around the home with no wiring modifications or disruption. Plug the cordless base station into the VM hub and use the cordless satellite phones around your home as required. If you already have a cordless system, you may be able to add in another cordless satellite phone to the existing setup as/if required. If you needed to buy a cordless phone system, to avoid any rewiring work, this would be at a cost to you.

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Gbolton

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm so sorry to hear that there's some confusion and concern regarding the recent communication you've received about the switchover, and how it'll impact your set up. I'm going to send you a private message in a few moments. Please respond to this when you can and we'll go from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Gbolton

Thank you for getting back to me via private message so that I could look into this for you. As we discussed there, a technician visit has been scheduled and booked.

I'm unable to confirm the date/time of the booking publicly for security reasons, but you can check and manage the appointment if needed via the My Virgin Media online account.

There are instances where the visit might be chargeable, such as if you're not present at the property. You can find more information on this here.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

robjon
On our wavelength

"you can check and manage the appointment if needed via the My Virgin Media online account."

All you can do is check your appointment slot. To cancel or reschedule you have to ring VM and hope you`re not stuck on hold for 45 minutes

Hi @robjon

Details on how to manage an appointment via My Virgin Media can be found here.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

robjon
On our wavelength

Doesn`t actually let you "manage" your appointment though, does it.

Thanks Zach