cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems receiving confirmation text messages

robklyn
Tuning in

Hi,

I have recently joined virgin mobile & I have been updating my number with various people & websites that I am register with. I have tried numerous time to update & verify my number with amazon.co.uk but I have never received a confirmation text from them. I have rang customer services & have been told the line is fine. I have since looked on the EE community and found this reply to a customer who appeared to be having the same problem:-

Re: Cannot receive Amazon verification sms

Thank you for posting into the community

Hopefully, we can get this resolved for you quickly

I had the same issue as yourself not only receiving Amazon texts, but other verification texts. 

The issue was that i had a requested the third party/premium text block and this sometimes stops the types of texts companies send to verify

Are you on Pay monthly or Pay as you go?

I can see if our chat team can help you.

Lee

Can anybody help as I am not having any luck with customer services or being able to find a solution online.

Thanks

Rob

46 REPLIES 46

Hi M00, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community. 

This is something we're looking into to see what's changed and why this is happening. 

As soon as we have any updates we'll let you know. 

Emma_C - Forum Team

Hi - I'm also having this problem all the time...

So far I've had issues from recieving codes from my bank (Halifax), Facebook, Amazon, Uber and other companies. 

I think this really is a very urgent problem as so many companies now verify over text. I needed to go into a branch of Halifax and show ID because I could not unblock my account over text.

If this is not resolved I will be moving to another provider ASAP

Tom_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi happydrummer,

We're currently collecting examples of this issue, I'm going to PM you to request some of this info.

Thanks,

Tom_S

I'm having the exact same problem for Uber and Barclaycard. I can see this has been happening for years and yet it's not fixed. What a joke.

And this problem still carries on.  It looks as though Virgin have no intention of fixing it.  No point looking at upgrades with Virgin, then.

Emily_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

This has since been rectified Geoffn50.

Can we please confirm if you're able to send and receive normal text messages? 

Is this specific confirmation texts from certain websites or apps? 

Have you migrated your SIM card over to our new Virgin Media SIM's in the last year? 

Let us know, Emily.

I am also having this same issue. My Amazon account was hacked yesterday and I am having to change all my passwords and turn on 2 step verification for a lot of websites. I have not been able to receive any of one-time pass codes OTPs from Amazon although I can send and receive normal text messages. Also I have had the same issue when trying to set up 2 step verification for eBay - again I don't receive the verification texts.

I can see this has been an issue with Virgin for years! Has a solution been found? I rang Virgin yesterday and they checked my account and said there was no issue with it. Can anyone help?

Hi there Ruthya,

I'm sorry you're unable to receive OTP text messages and that you was hacked. Can you try your SIM in a different phone and try and see if it works? It's just to rule out the handset as the Mobile agent has checked your account and cannot find any issues with it. Can you also check the various accounts such as Amazon and Ebay that you have the correct mobile and country code in there and are you not receiving OTP messages for all sides or just a few?

Thanks,

Lisa

Hi Lisa

I've checked the phone numbers on eBay and Amazon etc and they are correct with the +44 country code. I have just tried the SIM in another phone a Samsung Galaxy S7 and I can receive OTPs on that phone. Just not on my iPhone Xs!! How frustrating. I don't suppose you have any idea what I need to change to get it to work on my phone do you?

Thanks so much

Ruth

Thanks for popping back and letting us know it works in a different phone. For the iPhone, can you check the following for me: Settings - Messages - send and receive - and select your mobile number (make sure it's ticked) and then try and see if you can receive the OTP texts?

Thanks,

Lisa