Picture messaging

williebhoy61
Tuning in

Hi . Why can't i send picture messages on my new phone

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Could be that the MMS settings on your phone are incorrect, but equally it may be a known problem where some Android phones turn off mobile data when connected to wifi, and because picture messages require a mobile data connection to send.  This is known to affect some phones and not others, so some Samsung models, my own Xiaomi.  This does not appear to be related to the mobile network you're on.

If this known problem is your issue, work-arounds include:

1) Swapping your phone for one that doesn't have this problem.  This may be expensive or impracticable.

2) Turn off wifi before sending a MMS message (if you try and send one with wifi enabled, it will fail after protracted retries, and when you turn off wifi it won't attempt to resend the message even if you try)

3) Go into the phone's developer settings and set mobile data to "always active".  In theory the phone should still prefer wifi for data use, but keep an eye on your mobile account to track mobile data use.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Assuming this is standard MMS picture messaging it may be down to your spending cap. MMS cost 50p each above your allowance. If your cap is set to 0 they won't go.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Could be that the MMS settings on your phone are incorrect, but equally it may be a known problem where some Android phones turn off mobile data when connected to wifi, and because picture messages require a mobile data connection to send.  This is known to affect some phones and not others, so some Samsung models, my own Xiaomi.  This does not appear to be related to the mobile network you're on.

If this known problem is your issue, work-arounds include:

1) Swapping your phone for one that doesn't have this problem.  This may be expensive or impracticable.

2) Turn off wifi before sending a MMS message (if you try and send one with wifi enabled, it will fail after protracted retries, and when you turn off wifi it won't attempt to resend the message even if you try)

3) Go into the phone's developer settings and set mobile data to "always active".  In theory the phone should still prefer wifi for data use, but keep an eye on your mobile account to track mobile data use.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Assuming this is standard MMS picture messaging it may be down to your spending cap. MMS cost 50p each above your allowance. If your cap is set to 0 they won't go.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks