cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New SIM - why?

philguk
On our wavelength

I just received an email out of the blue from Virgin telling me “my new SIM is on its way”

I have not asked for a new SIM so what gives?

I was hoping to find a chat service for Virgin as this is not mega-urgent, but if chat exists it’s VERY well hidden!

Anyone else getting (or has got) a new unexpected SIM recently?

Im off to the US soon (I hope) so really need to make sure my phone works when I get there!

Cheers

20 REPLIES 20

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Ideally no you wouldn't need a new SIM. When a network change happens it's usually a seamless over-the-air change.

However if that fails for whatever reason (phone is off for instance, or it's out of the UK for an extended period of time) then to complete the change a new SIM is required.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

@BenMcr wrote:
Ideally no you wouldn't need a new SIM. When a network change happens it's usually a seamless over-the-air change.

However if that fails for whatever reason (phone is off for instance, or it's out of the UK for an extended period of time) then to complete the change a new SIM is required.

That probably explains it, phone that we have now had two sims for gets very little use while the other one is switched on most days

I have checked the coverage for O2 where the van is. It indicates very good for 4G. Unfortunately the device is in the van, 170 miles away so unable to do anything with it for a while.

Also, it takes a full size SIM, but my phone takes a Nano(?) so I am reluctant to punch it out. The device is supposedly unlocked and should work on any network. It's been working a treat for 2 years on the then Virgin network.

Is there a way this SIM can be activated remotely?

Problem solved the long-winded and expensive way. A trip to the caravan (340 mile round trip), put the SIM from the Mi-Fi in my phone, do the necessary with the new SIM and place in the Mi-Fi, not forgetting to put my phone SIM back in. Job done, getting download speeds of 20-30 mbps.

There must be a better way.

Thank you for the update @ChrisH2,

We are glad to see you were able to resolve this issue. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further help.

Thanks, 

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

noelebob
On our wavelength

I have also been sent a Virgin Media Sim, however I recently took out a new Broadband/TV/Mobile package with VM which included the O2 sim...do I just discard the O2 sim and put the new VM sim in my phone now?

Hi @noelebob,

Welcome back to our community forums and thank you for getting in touch with us regarding your sim.

Just to clarify how many sims do you have with us? Also, when did you join our volt service for your 02 sim?

Please get back to us when you can.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

noelebob
On our wavelength

My first new bill was dated 8th July so I guess it was within 30 days before that.

I used to have the VM sim but I would have expected that to have been automatically cancelled when the new contract was took out?

Thank you for letting me know @ChrisH2.

In this case, to further look into this, I have sent you a private message. Please look out for the purple envelope and provide a response when you can.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

noelebob
On our wavelength
nothing come through, did you say you have sent it or sending it?