cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused with activating new sim

dvg8199
Tuning in

I don't know what I'm doing. Please advise.

I had a 4G sim only monthly deal on a Lenovo 5Gs+ mobile. A couple of weeks ago the battery expanded and split the screen from the body. Being nervous of fire I bought a Samsung A32 sim free phone outright on a deal from Amazon and contacted Virgin Mobile about obtaing a new sim for the new phone with the same telephone number. The Samsung is a 5G phone. There is no 5G service in Cheltenham but Virgin confirmed it would still work with the available 4G. In that conversation I upgraded from a 4G to 5G sime deal which was the same price but had more data included.

While waiting for the sim I used the share-it app to transfer all my data to the new Samsung and I transfered my SD card to the new phone. I set up the new phone to my preference including a PIN for access. Seemed to be working fine on my Wi-fi. Then I did a factory reset on the Lenovo prior to disposal. Perhaps foolishly I dropped and mislaid the old sim. I didn't realise I would have to text READY to 789768 on the old phone but th

I didn't realise I would have to text READY to 789768 on the old phone but the new sim instructions seem to make that optional. The new sim arrived and I put it in the Samsung. I was not asked for any pin for the new sim, and the only pin on the new phone was the one I use to unlock it. So I couldn't  enter 7890 - the instructions don't make it clear into which app this number should be entered. Nothing spontaneously autoran for me to enter that number. The phone settings recognise the presence of the new sim and the formatted SD card but there is no phone number associated with the sim. I am confused as I expected the sim to carry over the same telephone number as the damaged phone had, especially as that is what the documentation that accompanies the new sim said would carry over. I only have access to emergency numbers and cannot make calls or text messages. I have cold started the new phone multiple times. It is not clear from the insructions whether I should leave the phone turned on for 24 hours to get the sim activated or whether I can turn it off. I don't understand how Virgin could detect to activate the SIM if there is no way for me to communicate that activation is required.

I have tried contacting Virgin Mobile over the Internet from my PC but can only get a triage bot that directs me to WhatsApp which I won't use. I have no alternative mobile device to use now.

Please could someone set me straight as to what I should be doing? Do I just wait indefinitely for something to happen spontaneously? Should I go into a Virgin/O2 shop to resolve this? Should I try to find a telephone box and try to contact someone human at Virgin Mobile or what?

Thanks for any advice.

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thank you for the update @dvg8199.

Glad to hear Natalie was able to help with this. We have forwarded the feedback to her. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi dvg8199, 

Thank you for reaching out to us here on the Community. 

I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your new SIM, we will be able to help. 

I will just need to take a few details via private message and we can go from there. 

The message will be available via the purple envelope on the top right of this page. 

Speak soon, 

Nat

dvg8199
Tuning in

Hi,

I am still unable to activate the sim in my new Samsung A32 mobile. It is getting quite concerning for me as I really need to be able to return an SMS to my GP Surgery and provide a working telephone number to people who need to contact me. Also if Virgin Mobile cannot provide me with a service I only have a few days left to cancel the contract and go elsewhere.

I did get a reply from a member of the support team but this seems to have petered out without progress.

I really would very much appreciate some help from somebody to get my problem resolved.

Obviously I cannot text 07533016422 because my SIM is not activated! I cannot call Virgin Technical Support (150) because my SIM is not activated!

Thank you.

Hi everyone,

I am glad to report that my sim activation problem was resolved by Nat, to whom I extend my gratitude. I am now up and working again and it feels good!

David

Thank you for the update @dvg8199.

Glad to hear Natalie was able to help with this. We have forwarded the feedback to her. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs