cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer TiVo box settings and recordings to new box

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just got a new TiVo box to replace the old faulty one and want to transfer my recordings and settings. I understand it's not possible to transfer the recordings because of licensing restrictions, but surely VirginMedia is able to do this because it has deactivated my old box. I have read elsewhere that it IS possible to transfer recordings by plugging the old box via ethernet cable into my router...

Also, I have tried several times now to copy my settings and series links via https://manage-virgintvgo.virginmedia.com/tivo/boxswap/copy/ and it is has not worked, despite saying 'Success' each time and that it will take 30 minutes.

Please help.

I am absolutely exasperated with Virgin Media's useless phone support, waiting hours and hours in their sodding queue because they don't think their customers are worth giving them a better service, and the fact that they refer customers to a forum in lieu of proper support stinks.

39 REPLIES 39

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You've raised quite a few points in here, so this will take some breaking down...

@Anonymous wrote:

No it's completely random. Pixelation was awful. They sent a replacement tivo box (not 6 - I have an old TV) which seemed to fix it, but I couldn't use it for very long because that box packed up - it gets stuck in a start up loop and never gets any further.

So I put the old box back and everything seemed fine for a week or so, then a little pixelation has crept back in. Completely random, but mostly everything - live and recorded - is bearable to watch.

So Virgin have replaced your faulty box with a new one, this has another issue - unfortunate I agree - but rather than get that issue reported and resolved, you've reverted to your faulty box? Forgive me, but if you're not going to report your equipment faulty and let VM deal with it, then I'm not surprised you have some service faults.

You need to report your new box faulty, and get that box either replaced or working. Out of interest, is there any reason you've not done this?

@Anonymous wrote:

Worst is BBC iPlayer which keeps freezing and eventually crashing, despite watching the lower quality video and turning off beta setting.

Two things here. First, iPlayer is a streaming app which uses the internet and not your TV signals. But on the old TiVo box, streaming apps do struggle, the box runs old hardware and the V6 is a much better box for running apps. There's no way of sugar-coating that!

@Anonymous wrote:

One engineer has suggested it's that the TV is too old, but I don't think it is as for the most part everything is fine and the problem is only there when using the TiVo box. It definitely seems like it's the signal more than anything else. Updating my TV may be an option but it's not a guarantee and a rather expensive option.

Your TV has nothing to do with the problems you've described, and the signal has nothing to do with streaming apps. So your first box had a signal fault and the box was replaced, fine. The fact that you still have it, suggests to me this replacement was done via QuickStart self-serve and you've kept your old box. I'm slightly surprised it still works, given the box-swap should have deactivated it, but still. Your new box has a separate fault, I'd recommend you report that.

Check which boxes you have here - like I said, the TiVo and streaming apps don't mix well. The V6 is much better, if you have VM home broadband which is a requirement.

@Anonymous wrote:

I've had two engineers now, both of whom haven't had a clue and just changed bits of cable and tightened screws here and there, nothing to actually find out and address the real problem.

I'll have to leave Virgin at this rate as I'm just not getting a decent TV service and Virgin isn't REALLY helping.

Changing bits of cable seems as good a troubleshooting exercise as anything, and if connectors were loose then tightening them up... checking anything in your cabling that could cause signal issues sounds like part of the investigation to me, and I'm puzzled why you think it wouldn't be.

I know I'm labouring this point, but by not reporting your latest service fault (the boot loop box) and reverting to a box that had a problem (signal issues) you have - to a significant extent - contributed to the issues. In an effort to understand how this can be resolved to get you a working TV service, what were your reasons for not reporting the new box faulty?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply.

Obviously I've reported the faulty new box and asked them to deactivate the new/reactivate the old box. I've gone back to using the old box because at least it starts up and I can watch TV, pixelated or not.

iPlayer app - good to know. As I can't cast to my TV, I can only use the app via the TiVo box, so if it's not working properly I'm left using my mobile and not the Virgin TV service I'm paying for. Maybe that suggests a TV upgrade is in order.

I am fairly tech minded, so my point about engineers is that it's frustrating to have them come round - the third is coming next week - and just do basic checks which I've already done (OK, yes they changed a bit of cable), none of which has helped at all in addressing the pixelation problem.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In the interests of clarity... which boxes are we talking about here... the one that was replaced for signal issues, and the one you tried to use but has boot issues.

TiVo or V6?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Anonymous
Not applicable

Both are TiVo, not V6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Question: if TV quality is absolutely fine using BBC iplayer and any other catch up app, but both live and recorded TV are both pixelated intermittently, what would that suggest - that it's a problem with the signal? (Virgin has already tested/adjusted input levels which didn't make any difference.)

Thanks for your post and for reaching out to the Community Forums, GrumpPot,

Sorry to hear that you have been having TV issues, I've run a a remote diagnostic which has identified a fault in the area for SNR issues [ref#F008709371], the ETA for a fix time is 13 JAN 2021 09:45. SNR issues can affect picture quality and signal drops. I've also checked the work order for your equipment replacement, that is still set for you, for more details about your appointment can be viewed here

Cheers,

Corey C

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Anonymous wrote:

Question: if TV quality is absolutely fine using BBC iplayer and any other catch up app, but both live and recorded TV are both pixelated intermittently, what would that suggest - that it's a problem with the signal? (Virgin has already tested/adjusted input levels which didn't make any difference.)

Issues with your TV signal affect your live TV channels.

If your live TV is affected, then the resultant recordings will also be affected.

Streaming (either apps or OnDemand) is over the internet, and generally wouldn't pixellate but would perhaps "buffer" if there are connectivity issues.

I see my reply has crossed with Corey_C

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok thanks. So that means you don't need to send an engineer if the problem is in the area and that will be solved soon? And presumably you didn't need to send the previous two engineers for the same reason. And presumably I didn't need a new TiVo box (albeit faulty) either...?

Anonymous
Not applicable

So... why is an engineer still coming if you're telling me this will be fixed for the whole of my area? What will they be doing exactly?

Anonymous
Not applicable

And VIrgin, you still haven't answered the question of why you lead customers to believe that they can transfer series links, thumbs etc. between TiVo boxes by giving them the option to here - http://manage-virgintvgo.virginmedia.com/tivo/ - when it doesn't actually work.

And why can't you transfer RECORDINGS from one box to another? I've read that it's due to licencing restrictions. but seeing as you activate/deactivate boxes anyway, this wouldn't ever be a problem surely?