cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Foreign language subtitles

drivingpete
Tuning in

I still have a TiVo box - I am trying to learn Irish and would like to display subtitles in Gaelic but despite changing the default subtitle language in settings it always displays in English. I have a Samsung smart TV. I have changed the default on there as well. Yes I have tried resetting the TiVo box and the TV several times. Nothing seems to work. I even tried French. That doesn't work either!

Any thoughts?

Peter   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@drivingpete wrote:

If I was visiting the UK, say from France for example,  and I wanted to watch a programme it would be useful to have French subtitles so I could follow the programme.

Problem is, that's also an argument for UK broadcasters having subtitles in multiple languages "just in-case" - that's rather unrealistic.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Do you have any specific programme/channel examples?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

cje85
Trouble shooter

The majority of channels only provide English subtitles. If you're in Ireland you may get Irish subtitles on some of their channels (TG4) but I can't think of any channels in the UK that would provide Irish language subtitles.

Every channel!

Hi

I see, that's disappointing. If I was visiting the UK, say from France for example,  and I wanted to watch a programme it would be useful to have French subtitles so I could follow the programme. That seems to be beyond the technology - which is a shame.

Thank you for the help anyway.

Peter 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@drivingpete wrote:

If I was visiting the UK, say from France for example,  and I wanted to watch a programme it would be useful to have French subtitles so I could follow the programme.

Problem is, that's also an argument for UK broadcasters having subtitles in multiple languages "just in-case" - that's rather unrealistic.

HI

I understand thank you for your help. ☘️

Peter