cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi not at the advertised speed

Kidney1
Tuning in

So I’ve just received my new 1gb router and although the speeds are consistent, they are staying around 500mb. I did receive a text saying “We're sorry. Due to technical difficulties, we haven't been able to activate the new kit. Please give us a call on 08009539500 to get it sorted.” but it still works. It also isn’t showing up in the my virgin media app so I cannot check the status of it.

13 REPLIES 13

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

The tp link m4 is not that high end for better wifi go wifi 6 that supports backhaul and a device with wifi6

---------------------------------------------------------------

Ah right. I never even thought about that really. I did read that they were capped so I uncapped them and it when from 100 to 200 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The M4 is perfectly capable for most users. Try setting it all up from scratch again using this procedure

Switch on and set up your own router or first Mesh unit (in its settings) to have its WAN port set to be in.. Dynamic/Automatic IP or DHCP (& Nat) mode, it may be set that way anyway. Then, disconnect all cables from all Mesh units and switch them off and unplug them. Then, put the VM Hub into modem mode ( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ) and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!).

Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off. Switch your first Mesh unit on and make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the Cat6a ethernet cable from its WAN port to the VM hub (any port will do).

NOW… power up the VM hub and wait 5-10 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a connection. Use the recommended App to connect any other Mesh units to the first one. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub. You might also set the SSID and key/password on the new router/Mesh to match that on the HUB so when you swap over, all your wireless devices should just connect automatically.

Note also a quirk where the Deco unit's QoS defaults to 100 - see message 2 in….

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Upgraded-from-100-to-200-with-no-difference/td-p/4931648

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi Kidney

Sorry to hear of the issues experienced with the speeds via your wireless network, we appreciate you taking the time to raise this via the forums and welcome to the community.

We're you able to follow the steps laid out by jbrennand in regards to setting up the third party router? We can see you have spoken to the team since posting, were they able to help via the call?

If you need us further, please don't hesitate to get in touch. 

Rob