cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New hub 4 and gig 1

Dave-wh
Joining in

Hi all,

I received a hub 4 and have gig 1 enabled from today. Wi-Fi speed isn’t as fast as hub 3 with my previous m600 package. I was getting around 550-580 on the Wi-Fi  using ookla speed test now I’m getting around 350-450? Fine the sam knows test and it says I’m getting 2 gig to hub 4? I’m using an iPhone 13 pro max so that should be good upto 866 on the Wi-Fi? Any ideas? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The Hub4 is only wifi5. It will max out at about 600Mbps on a single device - 2 simultaneous connections may get ~500 each, 3 about 330 each etc.

To get faster you need a Wifi6 device. The Hub5 is wifi6 but ironically isnt being issued to 1GB customers - yet. So you would need to get your own kit.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Dave-wh
Joining in

Couple of typos …. I’m getting 1 gig to the hub 4

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The Hub4 is only wifi5. It will max out at about 600Mbps on a single device - 2 simultaneous connections may get ~500 each, 3 about 330 each etc.

To get faster you need a Wifi6 device. The Hub5 is wifi6 but ironically isnt being issued to 1GB customers - yet. So you would need to get your own kit.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks, I’m gathering that now. Still don’t understand though why I was getting faster Wi-Fi speeds on hub 3 with volt m600 than I am now on hub 4 volt gig 1. Sam knows shows 1145 to the hub 4 so I know I’ve been upgraded, but the Wi-Fi to my iPhone 13 is slower than the hub 3 was? 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Dave-wh wrote:

Thanks, I’m gathering that now. Still don’t understand though why I was getting faster Wi-Fi speeds on hub 3 with volt m600 than I am now on hub 4 volt gig 1. Sam knows shows 1145 to the hub 4 so I know I’ve been upgraded, but the Wi-Fi to my iPhone 13 is slower than the hub 3 was? 

Are you connecting on the 5Ghz wifi band as it's the fastest.  You might be connecting to the 2.4Ghz band which is slower.

Try splitting the SSID and manually connecting.

• Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1
• Login with the default login info (on base of Hub) unless you've already updated it.
• Go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security
• Under Wireless Frequency 2.4GHz change the Wifi Network Name (SSID), suggest append _2 to the end.
• Repeat for the Wireless Frequency 5GHz, suggest append _5 to the end and click on Apply changes
• Try to avoid spaces and periods in the SSID names as they can cause issues with certain devices.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks