cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M350 package but max getting 75mbps with Ethernet

Kpd1189
Joining in

Hi I’m on m350 package however have  never had speeds anywhere close to that (had it now 3 months). Just used speed test with Ethernet plugged in, and ping is 41ms ; download is 72.22 mbps & upload is 38.01. This is actually a higher Download speed than I usually get which I think is because the Ethernet is plugged in. 

I spoke with customer service who asked me to change Ethernet settings so the speed could go over 100mbps. I let her know that there was no 1gb option when configuring advanced setttings in the speed & duplex section only 100 or auto negotiation. She stated this must mean my computer can’t handle those speeds but since then I’ve found out because my laptop has intel there is no 1gb option for speed and duplex but instead the auto negotiation is what allows the speed to go above 100 mbps (I hope this makes sense as I’m new to all this). 

So with the above in mind does anyone have any suggestions how to markedly improve my download speed? There isn’t any issues on virgins end apparently so I’m wondering if it’s how I set it up as this has been happening since the start. 

TIA.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Kpd1189 wrote:

<snip>    but since then I’ve found out because my laptop has intel there is no 1gb option for speed and duplex but instead the auto negotiation is what allows the speed to go above 100 mbps (I hope this makes sense as I’m new to all this). 

You have answered your own question.  If the NIC in the laptop only supports 10/100 then you will never get any more than 95.  The auto negotiation will only switch between 10 or 100.

Get a Gigabit USB adapter for the laptop.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Kpd1189 wrote:

<snip>    but since then I’ve found out because my laptop has intel there is no 1gb option for speed and duplex but instead the auto negotiation is what allows the speed to go above 100 mbps (I hope this makes sense as I’m new to all this). 

You have answered your own question.  If the NIC in the laptop only supports 10/100 then you will never get any more than 95.  The auto negotiation will only switch between 10 or 100.

Get a Gigabit USB adapter for the laptop.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks