cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1gb Hub 4 - speed questions

Sammy189
Joining in

Morning everyone, wanted to post in here first as everyone seems really knowledgeable and helpful.

just upgraded from 350mg to the 1gb. The 350 to be fair was pretty good, but dropped out quite a lot so wanted to change.

the Hub 4 which was sent was covered in scratches all over the unit, some quite deep, the noise it makes is pretty loud as well. 

I’m not getting more than 450meg on my phones or pads, it’s been in for a little over a week now. I’m finding each time I need to connect the Amazon cube, to get above 50 meg I have to “forget” the Wi-Fi and put the password in again, then that will get to 350 ish. 

Speed tests done on Speedtest.net, direct through Amazon cube, Analiti app on cube, all say the same. 

the connection hasn’t dropped once, so that’s good, just not sure if the Hub needs replacing. Or, if it’s better to purchase my own router, but then I don’t think the virgin pods would work with it?

Apologies on the long post, any assistance would be fantastic. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

This site confirms if your HUB 4 is getting full speed over the VM network:

https://samknows.com/realspeed/

Keep in mind the HUBs are rented kit so you won't always get a brand new one. That being said it does sound like there is a fault with it.

Also keep in mind the Ugreen adapter is only 10/100 not 1Gbps, meaning you'll see a maximum of around 90Mbps.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

ozsat
Superstar

450Mpbs is a good speed for wifi.  You'l  only get 900+Mpbs on a direct Ethernet connection to the SH4 using a 1Gpbs computer.

The damage and noise doesn't sound good though.

@Sammy189 wrote:

Morning everyone, wanted to post in here first as everyone seems really knowledgeable and helpful.

just upgraded from 350mg to the 1gb. The 350 to be fair was pretty good, but dropped out quite a lot so wanted to change.

the Hub 4 which was sent was covered in scratches all over the unit, some quite deep, the noise it makes is pretty loud as well. 

I’m not getting more than 450meg on my phones or pads, it’s been in for a little over a week now. I’m finding each time I need to connect the Amazon cube, to get above 50 meg I have to “forget” the Wi-Fi and put the password in again, then that will get to 350 ish. 

Speed tests done on Speedtest.net, direct through Amazon cube, Analiti app on cube, all say the same. 

the connection hasn’t dropped once, so that’s good, just not sure if the Hub needs replacing. Or, if it’s better to purchase my own router, but then I don’t think the virgin pods would work with it?

Apologies on the long post, any assistance would be fantastic. 

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

Oh, ok. Thank you. I assumed speeds would be quite a lot higher, don’t get me wrong, 450 is excellent and it’s certainly sorted the connection issues we were having on a weekly basis. 

But yes, the hub doesn’t half make a noise and it has a good 10+ deep scratches all over the unit. 

im going to purchase the Ugreen adaptor for the Amazon cube, that way I can run an Ethernet cable, hopefully that will stop me having to forget the Wi-Fi each morning for it to get above 50 meg. 

This site confirms if your HUB 4 is getting full speed over the VM network:

https://samknows.com/realspeed/

Keep in mind the HUBs are rented kit so you won't always get a brand new one. That being said it does sound like there is a fault with it.

Also keep in mind the Ugreen adapter is only 10/100 not 1Gbps, meaning you'll see a maximum of around 90Mbps.

That samknows site is giving me 1084 at the hub so that looks good. 

the Ugreen 4 in 1 is saying 10/100/1000, a couple of YouTube videos showed it wired with Amazon products giving that speed, that’s why I was thinking of buying one. 

Please don’t think I’m overly complaining, I’m just trying to find a solution which gives fastest speeds to the main devices I use. The upgrade has been worth it so far. 

@Sammy189 wrote:

That samknows site is giving me 1084 at the hub so that looks good. 

the Ugreen 4 in 1 is saying 10/100/1000, a couple of YouTube videos showed it wired with Amazon products giving that speed, that’s why I was thinking of buying one. 

Please don’t think I’m overly complaining, I’m just trying to find a solution which gives fastest speeds to the main devices I use. The upgrade has been worth it so far. 

Ah, when you mentioned the Ugreen adapter I assumed Ethernet only.

Technically you should be seeing around 1145Mbps to the HUB, however you could be in a 'busy' area.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Sammy189, 

Thank you for reaching out to us here on the Community, 

I am very sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with the broadband speeds and your new Hub. 

I would like to run a few quick checks on our side so I am going to pop you over a private message to grab a few details. This will be available via the purple envelope on the top right of this page. 

Speak soon, 

Nat