cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP ADDRESS CHANGES

ALF28
Super solver

MY VM IP address in modem mode has changed yesterday and now says I am located in Huddersfield  which is incorrect. I spoke to the help line and they are looking into this and raised a ticket but may take 5 days for them to ring me back, I did a pin reset on my hub 3 and in router mode it now indicates I am located in Glasgow and in modem mode located in Huddersfield.

As both locations are not where I live, but hundreds of miles away, that is not my usual map location.

Have VM been changing the IP addresses? or has my hub been hacked?

Will the locations be corrected, or is something else going on here that is not normal and never had that before,

My previous VM  IP address  from 2 day ago before the change,  which was in use for a good while is still listed in my own location so may have been given to another person in my area.

What is going on here?

However it works OK and both my hub3 and router seem normal but a few strange entries in the network log occurred when the Ip addresses changed.

16 REPLIES 16

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi ALF,

IF you use a VPN it can often slow down your connection. It may also prevent you accessing services such as VM's TVGo, BBC iPlayer, netflix, prime etc.

VM, along with the other ISP's obtain their IP addresses from a pool of IP's. This isn't always updated immediately, it should though show the correct provider. The location is never perfect although it should be close to where you reside.

Go to the following website (in modem mode) https://whatismyipaddress.com/ 

This will list your IP address, ISP and approximate location.

On the right hand side, just below the mini map that is displayed, it provides a link to update your location if it isn't correct (as in the picture below) If you want you can click on that, they will update their records, and it should be picked up by RIPE etc.

Clipboard01.jpg

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks, the "location not accurate" does not always show on what is my Ip address.

I have had 4 different IP addresses in the same week so it can be confusing, VM may still be working on the system.

I must agree, VPN has too many downsides and is slow, so will follow that advice.

I am now using the Hub 3 in router mode and working well with the exact correct location.

I have sent my issue in a private message as my 5 day IT ticket was not answered in the 5 days, depending on the findings I will decide if I can go back to modem mode and why the IP address changed to Huddersfield which is a long distance from my location.

It seems odd that the IP address keeps swopping, yet my old swopped IP addresses are still valid for my location so they are swopping my old IP address to another user locally.

The data base for geo-location may need updating by VM?

i wonder how long the modem IP address has to be unused to force a change of IP address?

I have not yet been able to get through security for a PM  after 2 attempts, but have answered again so hope it can be resolved soon.Also I kept getting locked out of the PM  reply saying too many attempts, not easy to get the help

If more security is still needed please send me another PM please.

I just need confirmation of the IP changes that keep happening and why and what happened to the 5 day  it ticket raised on 7/4/24 on the telephone help line.

Modem mode Ip address

While waiting for answers, I have checked that the Huddersfield IP address may be due to the way VM allocate the the IP address, and although the geolocation does not match my own town, the IPregistry  and criminalIP record is correct for my town. 

The reasons that the IP2 location is Huddrsfield may be that this refers to a block of IP addresses taken out by VM or even a shared IP address, so unsure if that is temporary or a new system.

this is explained in the following link

Why Is My IP Address Wrong Location | Robots.net

There is no problem with the hub3 in "router mode"  address now, although at first in was Glasgow but then changed to a different IP address which has my correct geo-location and using that now at the moment

VPN issue was the cause- solved

I did use a vpn a few weeks ago, and VM have now  replied/indicated that had been caused the problem. of changing IP addresses, also I suddenly was getting bad connection and lots of errors in the network log more than usual. VM may have been restricting/blocking the use of my VPN and switching my IP address.

Although some VPN's may work in modem mode, the one I used may have caused  the problem and also in the past I had similar problems always after using a vpn.

I was using/trying out  a free VPN from proton but rarely ever use it  on a home laptop, they are useful for mobile devices for protection.

The hub3 is working fine in router mode now and I will avoid using a vpn in the future, no need for one.

My IP address GEO-LOCATION- corrected now

My map has now corrected, it took a few days but my Microsoft email  has changed the activity map from the Yorkshire dales to my location which is the North Yorks moors- so finally correct at last.

It went wrong back in 16/3/24 after using a VPN with an Amsterdam location my location map was switched to the Yorkshire dales (Huddersfield) on 26/3/24 so final proof the VPN was causing problems with the virgin system not liking the use of the VPN and eventually modifying my IP address/location (perhaps to inhibit VPN access) and VM logged that incident, but required some detective work to establish what exactly went wrong, now corrected but have not yet tried going back to modem mode just yet, will wait a while as all is working well now,

@ALF28 We are glad to hear the issue has since been resolved. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further help

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs