cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Screwing up order/installation

MusicMCA
Tuning in

Just wanted to run this by everyone just to see if it lines up, as so far Customer Service have been massively unhelpful, and none of it makes any sense.

New customer - Order made online 7/11/22 - O2 customer using the Volt portal - engineer date selected as 5/12/22. Order ref - CH2026521836

Called today 28/11/22 to check up as hadn't had any info since order and had no confirmation of engineer visit.

Told on the phone (after it took forever to eventually find the order) that the order was still stuck in processing and hadn't actually been processed at all, and that VM should have contacted us already in order to 'gain permission to provide services to the property' but didn't. Has anyone else ever heard of them doing this? I've had VM in a previous house and never had to provide permission to have services before.

As a result, been asked to wait for a call back in the next 24-48 hours as the back-room team process the order, and then can discuss rebooking the install (earliest current a/v date is 23/12/22, leaving us without internet in our new house for over 3 weeks at the worst time of the year when we both work from home online..). They can't even provide any temporary solutions, and there didn't seem to be any willing to actually progress the situation other that just 'wait and see what happens' which I find absolutely ridiculous.

Does this sound like VM just fobbing off the fact that the sales/online team didn't process the order in time and clambering for an excuse to push it all back? Was told by a supervisor when I asked that they couldn't even discuss any potential compensation until they'd had confirmation that the services could be provided....

Having already waited 3 weeks to hear nothing, how hopeful should I be that someone actually calls me back? 

13 REPLIES 13

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is the "new" house actually a new build?

If so... is it stand alone or part of an estate? If not, has VM been installed previously in the property?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Built in 2017.

Standalone and no don't think they have previously.

More the complete lack of communication that's got me than it needing wired in outside etc

Hi MusicMCA

Sorry to hear of the delays and problems since placing your order, we understand the concern and frustration this can cause. We appreciate you raising this via the forums and welcome to the community.

When you spoke to the team to chase this up, did they advise what permissions were required? Is this from a landlord, neighbour of the local authority? If work is required outside this may be the reason for the delay as we chase these permissions.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the response.

I spent 2 and a half hours on the phone yesterday trying to work out what was going on after I didn't receive a call back as suggested on 28/11. I had 3 'customer service' providers from the install team drop the line on me, and then eventually was able to gain some more information from another, who told me that my call on 28/11 may as well not have happened as the agent didn't progress or request anything, they just let the case lie and no wayleave permission was sought.

I've still not had it explained to me as to why I need to give permissions - I'm the homeowner, and when I've asked what is needed, I've had very poor responses that basically just say 'we need permission' which is completely unhelpful (apologies, but the broken english of some of the call agents has really not helped matters, they've been unable to properly explain to me what is being requested or why it is needed). After the end of my call with the more helpful agent yesterday, he told me that he had 'completed a request for the wayleave permission form so the back-room team will now process things' (whatever that means?) and that I was to wait for it to resolve. This is the same thing I was told on 28/11. My selected engineer appointment was supposed to be 5/12, and I know that's obviously not going to happen - but what I'm really looking for is any sort of part-time solution between now and whenever my services can be properly installed, as I'm supposed to be working all the way through the month, and work from home, which right now isn't an option as my phone package only gives me limited data and costs a ridiculous amount to increase for 1 month. Any suggestions very much welcome, and if possible, someone to look into the case to see it's actually progressing would be greatly appreciated as my 'wait and see' patience has very much run out..

Thanks

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Mention of the wayleave suggests that someone thinks your house or garden or the pavement outside is not yours to approve.  They may have got that wrong of course. If it's Council property outside then it's a simple matter for them to get permission, nothing to do with you.

Because VM has no proper system for recording and communicating these basic steps it's always going to be difficult for the innocent customer to progress matters.  The best you can do at the moment is to call the Pre Installations number 0800 052 1734. They might just be able to help.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Yes, for some reason they keep having it down in the system as a rented property - I've asked them to change it multiple times but for some reason that doesn't seem to get through the system.

And agreed, it's impossible, though thankfully I had an email this morning with a direct phone number to directly discuss the issue as the pre install team are the ones I've been stuck on the phone to for hours the last few days, none of whom have been able to help resolve any of it. I've been told it's been escalated to a supervisor to get pushed through, and I'll be getting a call back in the next 3 hours or so. Will keep the thread updated.

Here we are 2 weeks on and no resolution yet. Passed between teams like a ragdoll and not a single person is able to articulate the actual issue, who its currently sitting with, and why there's such a ridiculous delay. Nor have they been able to provide any temporary solution so we're having to fork our 35 quid a month on a dongle since they won't give us one..

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@MusicMCA wrote:

Here we are 2 weeks on and no resolution yet. Passed between teams like a ragdoll and not a single person is able to articulate the actual issue, who its currently sitting with, and why there's such a ridiculous delay. Nor have they been able to provide any temporary solution so we're having to fork our 35 quid a month on a dongle since they won't give us one..

welcome to VM - ot it would be welcome if they connected you - some info

nothing unusual in what you post - if it worke [the install] then its seamless - if not then you are looking at what you have

VM have no system - no one talks to each other - departmnts do not know who looks after anything and once you get to offshore CS then its less painful to put sticks in your eyes - everything is guaranteed to happen tomorrow when it does not then tomorrow is the new date - ring backs dont happen - they will hang up on you and lie to close the call

soas i say welcome to VM - sit back take the £5.25 compensation from the first install date they gave you - they will try their best not to pay that but if and when they do install come back here if you have problems getting the compensation

the thing not to do is cancel even if you go elsewhere - let them drag their knuckles as they try to get you up and running and screw them for all you can get out of them then cancel in the 14 day cooling off period

Tony.
Sacked VIP

I have no idea why Virgin Media bother keeping track of whether a house is rented or not - it's not their problem if they install into a property without the landlord's permission as long as someone over 18 is present on the day of the install and approves it - any argument is between the landlord and the tenant and it's really not for VM to get involved with. All it seems to do is cause problems such as the one here. Wayleaves are their own thing and not usually going to come up when talking about installing the service to a single property.