cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No virgin cable from pavement into my property

Ian1950
Tuning in

Hi,

A Virgin cable is required from pavement into my property.

Had a site pre installation visit 4 weeks ago and it was arranged last Tuesday 11th April to have the  Ultimate volt package installed.

Engineer arrived and said you have no cable installed yet and I said I thought you were going to do that.

He said he can rebook the cable install and will get an engineer to call on 25th April.

I checked my online account details and it states a "Services Ordered" for broadband on 25th April and TV "service ordered" on 28th April.

Does this mean my cable in my from garden will be installed on the 25th?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Ian1950 wrote:

Hi,

<snip>

Unfortunately, there are many topics on this forum about delayed/failed VM cable installations. This is due to the way in which VM has outsourced the work to external contactors whom VM seem to have little/no control over.

If your original installation/activation date was 11 April (when the VM tech turned up to find no cable was installed) then you will be eligible for compensation as per the scheme below

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0026/216962/Industry-Code-of-Practice-for-Automatic-...

with updated rates from April 2023

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/automat...

at £5.83 per day until you are activated.

Your cable may be installed on 25 April and the services installed on 28 April but you may also find nothing happens on 25 April. There is sufficient past evidence on the forums to say that no one from VM will be able to give you any information about this that you can truly rely upon.

If you still have your existing broadband services, you should keep those running until VM actually completes the installation and you can test it is working to your satisfaction.

If you do not have any broadband at the moment, consider getting a data SIM/mobile broadband/hotspot etc. on a rolling monthly contract to keep you connected while you wait for VM.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

lotharmat
Community elder
That would mean that the cable pulling team talked to the kit install team...
I have my doubts from some of the stories on here.

VM's left hand seems to have no idea what the right hand is doing...

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Ian1950 wrote:

Hi,

<snip>

Unfortunately, there are many topics on this forum about delayed/failed VM cable installations. This is due to the way in which VM has outsourced the work to external contactors whom VM seem to have little/no control over.

If your original installation/activation date was 11 April (when the VM tech turned up to find no cable was installed) then you will be eligible for compensation as per the scheme below

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0026/216962/Industry-Code-of-Practice-for-Automatic-...

with updated rates from April 2023

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/automat...

at £5.83 per day until you are activated.

Your cable may be installed on 25 April and the services installed on 28 April but you may also find nothing happens on 25 April. There is sufficient past evidence on the forums to say that no one from VM will be able to give you any information about this that you can truly rely upon.

If you still have your existing broadband services, you should keep those running until VM actually completes the installation and you can test it is working to your satisfaction.

If you do not have any broadband at the moment, consider getting a data SIM/mobile broadband/hotspot etc. on a rolling monthly contract to keep you connected while you wait for VM.

Hi,

Many thanks for that, looks like I will keep my fingers crossed.  I have not yet cancelled my existing broadband.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Certainly do not cancel your present broadband until VM is in and running. 

Compensation is payable for any delays from the Installation date stated by VM. If your account only says Ordered dates, that sounds like an attempt to avoid paying compensation.   If you get any communication about Installation, make sure to copy it. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

kdargan
Tuning in

Hi There

I have the same issue - no cable running into the property and the installation has been postponed 4 times now - next date is 8th May (first date was 20th March).

It really is a joke! I hope your cable gets installed soon!

Cheers

Hi,

Thanks for that, does not sound too promising.  I just want them to do what they say.

I am in Warwickshire what area are you. 

Thanks

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

When Virginmedia take an order for a new broadband contract, they don't tell you whether or not there is an existing cable connection. If there isn't one they know it might take weeks or months to install it and that might mean they lose the order.

So they sign you up and then after you are committed you find out the installation date is false and the waiting starts. If you have trusted them, relied on their date and cancelled an existing service you can be left with no Internet. But that's your problem not theirs.

That's how Virginmedia works. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Ian1950 thanks for your post although we're sorry to hear of your concerns raised regarding your installation.

If anything does change with the installation dates we will let you know, but otherwise this will of course be due to go ahead on the date we have advised.

If you need any further support with this once the dates have passed then please don't hesitate to let us know and we can investigate this further for you.

Many thanks

Tom_W