cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving home with coverage and continue to use VM service - charged with "Early disconnection fee"

kennylam
Tuning in

I applied to move to the new home, initially VM said the new address needed to be inspected for coverage.

After a staff from Virgin Media visited, I was told my new address can be covered with Virgin Media but it requires an installation from Engineer. And she has written my current account number in the pre-contract document. I wanted to make sure that Virgin Media knew I am moving to an address with coverage, not to leave early.

And I then got the order details that a technician will come to my new home on early February to install a new kit. But now I am surprised that it comes with a new account number and a totally new contract and I got a bill with "Total Early Disconnection Fees"(£167.49) from the existing account.

While the moving home fee should be £20, and now I got trapped into a new 18-months contract with £30 activation fee.

Is that how VM earn more money from existing users?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @kennylam,

I am sorry for the wait on this, I am still working on everything at the moment.

I should have an update for you before the end of today.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @kennylam,

Thank you for reaching out to us about this.

I am sorry for the inconvenience caused.

I will send you a private message so I can help you further, please look out for a purple envelope at the top right of your screen.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Thanks Hayley

I just had a web chat with the moving expert, but they don't seems to be able to solve the billing issue with "Total Early Disconnection Fees" listed. I had replied the private message for further information and I hope it will help to solve the problem.

Thanks,

Kenny

@kennylam 

The contract with VM is technically and legally to supply services to a particular address, so if you move and this is to an area which can get VM, the fact that it is a new address has to involve cancelling the old contract and account and setting up a new one. In principal then, you are supposed to have to pay off any early disconnection fees from the old contract (assuming that you are still within the minimum term), and also set up a new contract with a minimum term - usually 18 months.

So far so good - all (sort of) makes sense.

However VM have a policy whereby if you move to an area which they supply, then they let you start a new contract but on the same terms as the old one, ie if you were 12 months into an 18 month term, then the new contract would only have 6 months to run, any discounts, deals etc. should carry over.

Now this is where it all gets a bit messy, as far as I have been able to work out from other posting etc. VM's systems automatically start a new contract at the standard 18 month period, automatically cancel your old contract (and bill you for early disconnection fees), and to override this requires some sort of manual intervention from a manager, once done it all gets sorted out.

So why such a convoluted process? Well; who knows! A much more cynical person than I might think it is a deliberate ploy, hoping that you don't notice, just think it is normal and pay up!

In fact there may be circumstances where this is advantageous - as a 'new' user at a 'new' address with a 'new' contract, you would be entitled to the new user discounts and this could well be more than paying off an early cancellation fee - you'll have to do the maths yourself.

In any event, do you have any email accounts set up using any of the virginmedia branded addresses? If you do then they are tied to your old account and would need to be transferred to any new one (a so-called move and transfer arrangement), otherwise they are regarded as orphaned and could be deleted after a few months. It seems that not every VM customer services person even knows that this M&T process exists, let alone advise you of it and arrange for it to be done. So watch out for that one and request it be done if necessary.

John

A home move which retains the same services costs £20 and always entails the creation of a new account as the address is different. You continue with the same contract at the same price (so the same amount of time left and with no EDF). Doing all of this may be a manual process, which should be covered by the £20, but it should be not something the customer should notice.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

kennylam
Tuning in

After a week of waiting, nothing response from VM support, but the payment date of the surprising bill is getting closer. I canceled the Direct Debit for that account but I don't know if it will affect my credit score.

The installation work is still pending, but they collected the old cable modem from my new home. 

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @kennylam,

I am sorry for the wait on this, I am still working on everything at the moment.

I should have an update for you before the end of today.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team