cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back To Virgin from BT

johndm
Superfast

So, I cancelled Virgin 1 gig to try BT 900, lasted 5 days before I told them what to do with their service and came back to Virgin.

I am left with the Openreach ONT mounted on an internal wall, and cable tacked around my house to the grey outside BT box.

Trying to find out if they want the ONT back, as I have no plans to switch away from Virgin for the foreseeable future, and have no need to leave the box and associated wire in place.

Nobody on the other side seems to know the answer, so has anyone here ripped out and disposed of the Openreach box?

6 REPLIES 6

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The ONT is the property of Openreach.  That's the demarcation line for ISP installs.  I'd imagine it's like VM and Openreach would prefer it to be left in situ.

However there should be another outside box, where the fibre comes from to the ONT.  It is spliced in that box, so even at that, it can't just be unplugged there either.

Bear in mind the fibre connector can be harmful as far at the light intensity is concerned.

I'm also curious why you didn't like the FTTP 900?  I have the 500 service and find it very good.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Yes, please tell us what the problems were with the BT full fibre service. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

The first issue was they missed three installation appointments, but I got an urgent Saturday booked.

Install was fine, ONT put next to the Virgin indoor socket, tested, all good at 935 down 110 up.

After engineer left, I put my TP Link router on, as the BT Hub will not allow splitting of 2,4 and 5ghz bands, everything connected fine, but a couple of hours in and everything disconnects, ONT all green but no flickering on LAN, so power cycled it and everything came back online.
Same happened a bit later in the evening, and then woke up the next morning with everything offline.

Help desk needed hub 2 put back to test, and said all was fine, but I told him Ethernet stuff was fine, but most of my smart home stuff was going off and online as I was watching on my iPad, doorbell wouldn’t connect at all, so told him I have to put my router back on to get thing’s running properly, BT Hub just not up to it.

He then said a Tech Expert would be booked, but the earliest would be 14 days after start of contract, so asked for cooling off period to be extended as I was not happy entering into a 24 month contract with a faulty service, that request was refused. When I checked my email, there was the appointment confirmation, along with a £40 charge to be added to my first bill.

Needless to say that was the final straw, I immediately applied for a Virgin 1gig service in my name (previously in wife’s name), and that went through fine so I cancelled BT within the 14 day cooling off period.

My new hub5 duly arrived, and worked straight out of the box, all connected and back on modem mode with my router, Rock solid connection since.

Moral here, if it ain’t broke leave it alone 😂

Funny thing was I missed the big Virgin outage as was connected to BT at that time, well some of the time anyways 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Thanks for that. Can't blame you for changing in the circumstances.

I wonder if a different Openreach ISP would have handled it differently.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

unisoft
Knows their stuff

@jpeg1 wrote:

Thanks for that. Can't blame you for changing in the circumstances.

I wonder if a different Openreach ISP would have handled it differently.

I agree, likely down to BT as the ISP instead of someone like AAISP or Zen. Until VM go XGS-PON, the latency on Openreach FTTP is far superior.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That’s a terrible tale and you had every reason to leave BT.  Shocking service really from any ISP. Hopefully my connection is trouble free. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks