cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wifi in my office is bad

gordon_shearer
Tuning in

Hi, I have ran all the tests, I need to talk to someone!!!

My issue is the wifi I get in my home(room/office) is very intermittent,  it can drop to 3 mbps then it can go up to 13 mbps, I use an app called Sam Knows to check the speed when I have an issues, I have tried the Virgin app to check for speed, but it just says it fair. I have been trying all sorts to fix this  but still get the same issue in my bedroom/office, I stay in an old house with concrete walls, can someone from Virgin call me please!!!!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
No one will call you. If its just a wifi issue - see this post...

If it is a wifi only issue (is it?), then on a Hub3/4/5, you should first try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings At the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” and “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will now need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you. Its now called… Wifi Max see…….

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max

You can call  0800 064 3850 to order the first one - or follow instructions on that website - or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you . If you call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible it will be £5 or £8 month - you are… and it wont be - just look on the webpage.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

You would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2,3).

£30-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
No one will call you. If its just a wifi issue - see this post...

If it is a wifi only issue (is it?), then on a Hub3/4/5, you should first try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings At the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” and “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will now need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you. Its now called… Wifi Max see…….

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max

You can call  0800 064 3850 to order the first one - or follow instructions on that website - or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you . If you call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible it will be £5 or £8 month - you are… and it wont be - just look on the webpage.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

You would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2,3).

£30-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey gordon_shearer, thanks for your post on our help forum.

We're sorry to see you've been experiencing issues with the WiFi and the signal in your property, these can be caused by interference from iron inside walls or other electrical devices, even the layout of the house in some cases.

We can see you've received some helpful advice from jbrennand above in regard, has this helped and where about are you with this since you last posted here on Tuesday?

We'd also advise these problems can be usually resolved with the use of pods, have a look at our new WiFi Max service here for more info on this, if you haven't already.
Let us know if you still need our help, happy to assist further with this.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Mark, thanks for your reply, an engineer gave me a visit and changed a few cables outside my house, he also logged into the hub and changed the smart wifi setting. But he checked my office and said it was a black spot, so he recommended I get 2 pods, one for the office and one for the far end of my hall. So I am waiting for the first pod and then once this is being used I will need to get the second one.

Thanks for taking the time to read and answer my post, it's appreciated.

Hi Adri,

Thanks for the reply,
an engineer gave me a visit and changed a few cables outside my house, he also logged into the hub and changed the smart wifi setting. But he checked my office and said it was a black spot, so he recommended I get 2 pods, one for the office and one for the far end of my hall. So I am waiting for the first pod and then once this is being used I will need to get the second one.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks fo the update gordon_shearer,

When is the first Pod due to be delivered?

Regards,

Kain