cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

intermittent WIFI

nikki79
Tuning in

WIFI keeps dropping in and out. Even when low usage, ie one work laptop. Had issues since set up 29th Dec, had engineer visit who found issues outside (did not specify) called engineer back to report still having issues but never heard back. 

When I do get wifi speeds are sloooowwwww

Impossible to speak with human to get another visit organised. 

Ive reset the hub numerous times, when the app works ive done home scans which state wifi is available in all rooms (its really not) app rarely works anyways. 

how do I speak to a human at VM to help sort this, I keep getting bots. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ignore that last poster - it’s spam. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Is this just with WiFi, or are wired connections poor as well? 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

seems to just be wifi

Diagnostics in the settings indicates issues with the wifi, however no idea what this is or how to fix it. 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Have you followed the WiFi Wins advice?

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Digital-life/WiFi-Wins/ba-p/3958523

How far from the Hub are you using the WiFi?  You may need to use a separate router or a mesh system.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Hi yes, done the wifi wins, apparently no black spots in the house when i scan it with the app, when the app actually works of course. Loss of wifi literally sometimes in the same room as router, and just outside the room. This is happening even when there’s only a works laptop drawing traffic. 

It sounds like WiFi contention or radio interference.

Have you installed a WiFi analyser app on your phone and had a look see what channel your WiFi is on and whether there are many contenting WiFi networks from neighbours etc?

Do you know if you are connecting via 2.4GHz or 5GHz? If not, you can separate out the WiFi channels ... (give them separate names) and then explicitly choose which one you connect to. But you can't do that if you are using WiFi Pods. So... do you have any WiFi Pods installed?

Not yet I’ve been looking at which app would be the best to use. 

I tried to switch to using the separate 2.4 & 5GHz channels today but when I select them in the settings it won’t save, it’s taking too long and times out, or says it’s saved setting but the once refreshed has defaulted back. I’ll try again

I don’t have wifi pods. 

I think it is recommended to turn off channel optimisation too.

I've only ever run my hubs in modem mode, so can't add too much there.

What phone/tablet are you looking to install a WiFi Analyser on?

Ok thanks, I’ll make sure that’s off too. 

I beleive I can use the IMac to run a check via the utilities, otherwise it would be an app for iPhone/pad