cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hub 5 issues

nickrp
On our wavelength

A warning your new hub 5 will activate without you actually doing anything, this is sort of OK what is NOT Ok is that after 7 days my current wifi hub was deactivated. So like me if you are planning a day to set it all up-forget it. Wifi stopped while I was away in the middle of the night leading to no heating control and loss of home automation, unacceptable. Also no one warned me it was a trial

Coverage is terrible despite having altered the signal width. Air book upstairs still not reliably connected. Support is the next step to rename and separate the 2 bands?

Setting 2.ghz Channel width to 20/40mhz and 5GHz channel width to 20/40/80 DONE
Enable Channel Optimization- this option is greyed out so NOT possible

setting up Sonos system tured into a complete painI have the old router still. I'm giving a few days before rolling back. Its that bad

Support any more suggestions?

12 REPLIES 12

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The Hub 5 as you say, is by invite only trials, and as such will have bugs.

As far as your wifi is concerned it may be the new wifi 6 ax protocol is causing issues?  I believe there is no option which does not have this protocol, e.g. no b/g/n or n/ac ?  

In this case, you may be better off getting the old Hub re-provisioned.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

nickrp
On our wavelength

thank you, you are right there are no options which doesn't include the ax protocol in either band

Apple looks like they didn't add it to mac books until mid last year. Daughters mac does need to take a new IOS so I will give that a go and see what happened.

I will try some hub reboots to see if new firmware drops.

I will rename the bands and see if that helps

I' d like some help as too why the channel optimization options are greyed out as  that's the first thing Virgin Support suggested I try after widening the bands

This roll out is very disingenuous, It's not made clear it's a limited release-if it was I wouldn't have taken it. Non of the online help has been updated and there have been no comms from Virgin on common issues found and how to remedy.My "invitation " arrived with my package ending.

Hi @nickrp,

Thank you for your posts. I am sorry to hear you're having a bit of trouble with your Hub 5. We're here to help.

Are these issues ongoing today? If so, are you having any problems with the wired connection too, or just wireless/Wi-Fi?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

nickrp
On our wavelength

Hi-thanks

so I have rebooted the hub daily to pick up any firmware update
I have changed the channel width ( channel optimisation is greyed out so have not switched on)
I have not renamed the 2.4 and 5 ghz bands.
I have manually added the DNS details into the Mac

The mac is so slow it basically doesn't work. I have updated the IOS- no change.
I have cleared both chrome and Safari caches-no change.
The mac worked fine on the old hub 3 and does on other Wifi networks so the Hub5 is the issue. 

I am waiting to get an adapter to plug it into the Hub 5 direct-but really should I have to? Its currently hotspot to an iphone chewing data

nickrp
On our wavelength

In fact if plugging it into the Hub5 doesnt solve the wireless issue and if you can';t suggest what to do next my question is

I have kept the old hub so what is the process to roll back to that and exit a trial-that I wasn't aware I had joined.

ta

Hi @nickrp, thanks for your posts and I'm sorry you're still having issue with your Hub 5.

Of course, we want your Hub to be working on both a wired and a wireless connection, but you being able to confirm if wired does work or not with your device will enable us to troubleshoot your particular issue further.

In terms of Channel Optimisation, all of our Hubs have this turned on by default. As this seems to be greyed out for you on your Hub Settings, the best way to ensure that this is turned on is to do a pinhole reset on your router, which is a full factory reset. Just be prepared though that this will revert everything on your Hub back to the way it was when you first activated it, including SSID's and your wifi password!

If you do want to revert back to a previous Hub though, then it is possible for us to switch this back over for you. Please let me know how you get on though and we can take it from there.

Regards

Tom_W

@nickrp OK, what you need to do is call VM and say that the new hub 5 simply isn’t working and you request/demand that the reactive the hub 3 on your account. You might want to disconnect the 5 from the network cable before you call in just to prevent them from saying that they have run checks and all seems OK, well it might not stop them saying it but at least you’ll know they are lying!

The hub 5 is basically being offered on a trial basis, ie it’s new equipment, possibly not fully operational, may or may not have bugs, may or may not have issues working with your existing equipment and you are acting as a beta tester for VM? Tell me were you aware of this when you accepted the invite to have one? Thought not!

nickrp
On our wavelength

huge thanks to other member. MAc book Air speed now sorted.

cleared caches. Ran updates and then this fixed it

re issues getting mac book air connected with decent speeds this finally worked-with thanks to another member

1. Click the Apple logo in the top left corner of the screen, then select System Preferences
  2. Select Network
  3. On the Preference Pane, click the Advance button
  4. Click the Proxies tab
  5. Un-tick Auto Proxy Discovery (make sure all un-ticked unless you are actually using a proxy)
  6. Click Ok
  7. On the bottom of the Preferences Pane, click Apply and wait about 20 seconds. Everything should be working.

nickrp
On our wavelength

hi tom and thanks

Channel optomisation is greyed out thanks for the suggestion of the rest but having spent a week sorting out all the issues I'm not doing that.. It is currently set to off ,as I have not made any changes I can only assume is it OFF by default not on. Especially given the tech team emailed me to say try switching it on!!

I'm now up and running. What has not changed is that I did not knowingly sign up to be part of a trial ( I accepted on offer on the website) and nor does Virgin , support, online help or the technicians seem fully joined up about this new router. ie the only reliable help seems to be the users at the moment.