cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ethernet cables

debbie9866
Joining in

Hi, I have just had just moved to virgin media from a BT line.  An engineer came at the weekend and  put some new wiring in so my virgin media cables ran to the location I wanted them, but I forgot about the other internet ports I have in the house.

These other sockets are now not working when I plug in my ethernet cable and i assume this is because it was all linked to the BT port.

Is anyone able to help me with this or do I need to speak to virgin media again?, if I need to speak to Virgin again then does someone have a contact number because the number I found online doesn't seem to exist and their online chat doesn't seem to be working

6 REPLIES 6

goslow
Alessandro Volta

VM won't wire up ethernet connections for you.

If you had computer equipment linked via ethernet to your BT home hub, you need to transfer those ethernet cables over to your VM hub's ethernet ports.

If your new VM hub is in a different place to the old BT hub then you would probably need to add in another ethernet cable from the new VM hub position back to the end of the ethernet cables and the old BT hub location and use a network switch to connect your ethernet cables at the old location.

Thank you for the response.  I thought that would be the case.  It just seems like a lot more work than I would like, as I have ethernet ports in 4 rooms. I'm not very savvy with things like that either.

I don't suppose you have a contact number for VM do you?  The one I found online doesn't exist.  I might talk to them and see whether it's worth me staying with them or cancelling and going back to my old provider.

@debbie9866 wrote:

Thank you for the response.  I thought that would be the case.  It just seems like a lot more work than I would like, as I have ethernet ports in 4 rooms. I'm not very savvy with things like that either.

I don't suppose you have a contact number for VM do you?  The one I found online doesn't exist.  I might talk to them and see whether it's worth me staying with them or cancelling and going back to my old provider.

Are your new VM services working well and to your satisfaction (aside from the matter of the disconnected ethernet cables)?

Extracting yourself from your new VM contract within your 14 day cooling off period and reconnecting with a new provider would seem to be potentially as much, or more, work/effort than working out a way to deal with the matter of the disconnected ethernet cables IMHO.

If you have a VM landline as part of your new VM package you can call VM on 150 for free. Alternatively you can call on 0345 454 1111 (which may be within inclusive minutes or may be chargeable depending on your phone call package).

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there debbie9866,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

With regards to this issue unfortunately we wouldn't deal with setting up the ethernet cables as such as the technicians would set our line up with the Hub.

Have you been able to contact our team? If so what's been advised?

Regards,

Kain

I did speak to them and he tried to help but it's more to do with my home network. So it's something I need to look into 

Thanks for getting back to us debbie9866,

I hope you get your issue resolved.  Regrettably, even our partners at Gadget Rescue, would not be any real use to you regarding your issue.  Do you have a friend or family member who could support you in this matter?

Regards

Lee_R