cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best app for Wifi Channel Analysis for iPhone?

mda99das
Up to speed

Just want to ensure that I am not getting any clashes between my Hub 5 and access point Draytek.

There are so many apps, but I am looking for one that gives channel recommendations for 2.4 and 5Ghz bands.

Many thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
There isnt a good App for iOS, but the Apple Airport Utility has basic functionality.

Get Apple's free Airport Utility for the iPhone from the App store

Then go ... Settings->Airport Utility scroll down and toggle "Wifi Scanner" to on (green). Then open the App and click on the Blue WiFi Scan icon at top right. then hit the blue “Scan” icon - when you are in the location of the affected device(s).

Data will flow in - continuously updating, with the SSID’s showing with the "strongest" i.e. "best" signal at the top of the list - they have the highest RSSI values - and their channel numbers are also shown.

Only use channels 1,6,11 for the 2.4 GHz band - choose the best channel for your location (least congested ) and switch your SSID to that.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
There isnt a good App for iOS, but the Apple Airport Utility has basic functionality.

Get Apple's free Airport Utility for the iPhone from the App store

Then go ... Settings->Airport Utility scroll down and toggle "Wifi Scanner" to on (green). Then open the App and click on the Blue WiFi Scan icon at top right. then hit the blue “Scan” icon - when you are in the location of the affected device(s).

Data will flow in - continuously updating, with the SSID’s showing with the "strongest" i.e. "best" signal at the top of the list - they have the highest RSSI values - and their channel numbers are also shown.

Only use channels 1,6,11 for the 2.4 GHz band - choose the best channel for your location (least congested ) and switch your SSID to that.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

For iPhone it's as John as said - really there is only the Apple Airport Utility.

Apple don't give access to other developers - unlike for Android where there are several good apps with graphs available.

Remember to turn OFF the scanning function in the iPhone settings when you are done - to save battery on the iPhone.

There are some apps for MAC OS such as NetSpot if you have other Apple kit such as a Mac Book.

There are some apps for iPhone that claim to be WiFi scanners - but they 'only' do things like ping and speedtests, not wireless spectrum analysis - then there's Netspot, but you need additional hardware (WiPry) - happy to be corrected if anyone knows of any others.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!