cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weak WIFI signal

Goliw02
Joining in

I need an engineer to come to my property however how do I do this as website is very complex

8 REPLIES 8

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Post more details on the issue. They wont just attend for a weak wifi signal.

What are connections like on an ethernet cable connection? What Hub model is it? What package are you on? Is it wifi blackspots away from the Hub - or poor when sat right next to it? On what devices? etc.....

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for your reply.

I lost my partner in 2020 and he used to do all of the home networking etc, so you can imagine I am trying to learn a lot.  We have a VM Hub3, which is then connected into another router.

I also have TpLink plugs around the home which operate my CCTV and printer, which disconnect due to weak WIFI signal - to reconnect I have to disconnect the mains power and give it a reboot.

I need a VM engineer to see if the Hub is in the best location in the house.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As per your other post you can get the hub moved, but it will possibly not improve the WiFi. We can recommend various solutions, but before then we must check out your incoming signal to see if that is a problem. Go into the hub and supply some stats, details below:

How to get stats from a VM hub (no need to logon to the hub)

Open a web browser and go to 192.168.0.1 router mode or 192.168.100.1 modem mode

• Click on the “> Check router status” button
  • Click on the “Downstream” tab, copy the text and paste into your reply
  • Click on the “Upstream” tab, copy the text and paste into your reply
  • Click on the “Networking” tab, copy the text and paste into your reply.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If you are using a wireless router and the Hub is in modem mode then its irrelevant where the Hub is situated - it could be in the cellar - its where the router is that matters.

So what colour is the base light on the Hub3 - is it "white" or "Magenta" (reddy/purple).

And do as Tudor requests. Also... what other router do you have - make and model? What is the model number of TP-Link plugs you have?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi Goliw02,

Thanks for your post and a big welcome to the Community. It's great having you on board with us.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you have been having with your broadband. I'm happy to take a look in to things but I've been unable to locate you on our systems using your forum credentials. I will need to confirm some information with you in order for me to proceed with checks. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this and will investigate further once I receive your reply. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Goliw02,

Thanks for coming back to me on this one via private message. 

Taking a look at our systems, I can see there is an open fault affecting your connection. The details are below: 

• Fault reference number: F009661226
  • Estimated fix time: 01 MAR 2022 15:45
  • Description: Status report || You might find that your Virgin Fibre, Voice and Virgin TV services are intermittent, with the picture freezing or disappearing now and then. We are sorry and our engineers are working hard to resolve this for you.

I have made a note of this on your account so the relevant teams are aware you are affected. If there is anything else we can do, let us know. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks Kath - good to understand that there is a fault.

My hub3 is showing a red light at the bottom is this ok or does is the faulty?

Finally I understand that the phone line is changing over to fibre and I need to connect phone in the back of the hub but they are in two different locations - is there away that I can book out an engineer?

Thank you for your help

Regards

Wendy Golightly

Thanks for your reply.  VM have confirmed there is an open fault at my address and should be fixed on 1st March 22.