cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unreliable broadband/wifi

Bpowellbristol
Joining in

We have had virgin media for a couple of months and the service has been disappointingly unreliable.

In particular, some devices will connect and be ok while other devices have intermittent connection problems.

For example, all of our phones are sometimes connected to the router but will be 'connected without Internet' with no data coming through. This is resolved by disconnecting and reconnecting to the WiFi.

We also have issues with connecting other devices, the amazon fire stick or windows laptops, that we have to resort to rebooting the router to fix.

There are 3 people in the house, all work from home but obviously a 250mbps connection should be more than enough but we are all plagued with connection issues.

It is not so much the speed as the reliability of the connection. 

The router etc is of course new, but the existing connections in the house - external cables and the box outside look very old and I wonder if this is the reason and ideally they need checking and replacing if necessary. 

We need a service engineer out to check it out but I couldn't find a way to actually contact virgin media so have posted here instead hoping it'll somehow lead to getting a service engineer out.

Smart WiFi channel optimisation is disabled and have tried splitting the WiFi into 2.4 & 5 ghz but there was no improvement. 

4 REPLIES 4

Bpowellbristol
Joining in

We have issues with our broadband connection being unreliable, how do we get an engineer out to check the existing connections in the house and externally and diagnose the problem? 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Do you have problems over Ethernet cabled connections? Or are all your issues over wireless?

Can you setup and post a link to a free BQM please? https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/list 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi and thanks for the reply @japitts, I created this bqm on my phone just now:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/3bbf837fd84eb3d82c6a33bb0c57f82395...

Hello Bpowellbristol.

Thank you very much for joining our Community.
Can I just apologise for intermittent connection.
We can run a few tests from here and check on your equipment.
Sadly it's not showing anything wrong, So I will need to send you a private message to gain account access and run further tests.
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L