cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor WiFi with hub 3.

Prfiander
Tuning in
  • I have a Hub 3 and have had to use VM extenders to get a signal to my studio. However, and my son who is only 8m away from the hub on the first floor keeps getting drop out during his videoconferencing. He finds if he leaves his bedroom door open it lasts for a bit longer but still drops out frequently. With the door closed he cannot conference successfully. Have tried some of the remedial actions but they are not working. What do I do next? Regards Paul
6 REPLIES 6

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Run a cable

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See this...

If it is a wifi only issue, then on a Hub3/4, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing the cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Ultimate Oomph or Volt packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you.

If not… you will be charged £5/month. Its a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s).

Get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) Powerline adapters, (5) A combination of (2,3,4).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Prfiander, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you are having an issue with your connection dropping out. 

I have gone to check the account to ensure the Hub is as it should be however I can see you have more than one account with us. So we can ensure we are looking at the correct one, I need to confirm some details with you. I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Prfiander, 

Thanks for coming back to me via private message. 

Taking a look at the account it looks as though there are some pro-longed issues with your hub. We won't be able to fix this remotely so I have arranged for an engineer to come to take a look at this for you. 

I have booked you in for the next available appointment. To view this please sign in to My Virgin Media here: My VM. Once logged in, scroll down to Orders & appointments then click on View your orders. You can also view this in the My VM app. If you have any issues with accessing your account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you another message to pass data protection and then confirm the appointment details.

Just to confirm, there will be no charge for this visit unless:

• The technician diagnoses the fault as not being caused by our network/equipment 
  • The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
  • The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for

The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.

Please ensure that someone over the age of 18 is at the property for the time the engineer is there. If the appointment is unsuitable or if anyone living at your property has tested positive for Coronavirus, has been asked to self-isolate or has flu-like symptoms then please reschedule the appointment on the same link. If you do miss the appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment so it is important to reschedule if needed. 

Lets us know how the appointment goes. 

Take care.

Kath_F
Forum Team

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Paul, 

Thanks for coming back to me via private message. 

I'm sorry to hear the engineer visit didn't go so well and that the WiFi is still an issue. 

Other than offer the WiFi pods on our Intelligent WiFi service, there isn't more we can do. You can read about this here

If you want to order a pod, let me know and I can look at arranging this for you. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Prfiander

As mentioned previously, we only need to private message if we are swapping account sensitive information. 

Due to the package you have, we're not able to provide the WiFi pods for free. If you would like to upgrade your boosters for the WiFi pod instead then we can do this. The charge would be £5 per month. 

In terms up upgrading the Hub, the Hub 5 is currently in a soft launch phase and is only being offered to a few customers who meet a very specific criteria. We are not able to offer this to you. If eligible, you will be contacted via email. 

If there is anything else we can do, please reply here. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team