cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peak time Congestion?

BGL
Dialled in

For the last week I've been experiencing what looks like Peak Time Congestion severely impacting the quality of service between around 6pm - 10pm (Online gaming is nigh on impossible) 

Can my connection please be looked into?

(The only device using the connection at this time will be my gaming PC - no streaming services being used or large downloads etc)

My autosig has a link to my live BQM (but as it's always requested anyway, I've included a screenshot of it from the other night)

NB

The HUB has been reset (It's been resetting itself for about a year now - previous VM investigations have replaced everything, all cabling , HUB etc, etc and could find no faults so I just accept random 7minute resets)

Peak Time CongestionPeak Time Congestion

------------------------------------------------------------------
HUB 4 1Gb - Direct Ethernet Connection
My Broadband Ping - BGL1
14 REPLIES 14

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

That peaking on the BQM is not peak time congestion (search over-utilisation in this forum if you want to see what that looks like), but is down to problems of internet traffic routing.  It affects all VM customers and more than one ISP, but for VM customers it is VM's responsibility to sort it out - you pay VM for an internet connection, they use some of that money to buy or settle peering or transit arrangements.  Peering and transit agreements are the basis of how data moves across the internet, VM need to get off their backsides and hold the routing providers to account.  

Signs of them doing this are not good, and even if not factually true, the external appearance is that VM are both clueless and disinterested on this matter.

BGL
Dialled in

Same again last night at the usual time and this many T3 errors in about three days:

Will give the HUB a reboot for no good reason.

Upstream bonded channels

Channel Channel Type T1 Timeouts T2 Timeouts T3 Timeouts T4 Timeouts

1ATDMA0030
2ATDMA0030
3ATDMA0020
4ATDMA0070

My Broadband Ping - BGL1

BGL
Dialled in

91E6DCB6-F4F2-49E6-B060-47B7B0A7AABB.png

Same thing, same time tonight. Any response from VM re what this is and what could be done would be most welcome. 

My Broadband Ping - BGL1

BGL
Dialled in

092751D4-8614-4C8A-A7DA-0F30AA4723C1.jpegForgot to obfuscate my IP so posting a cleaned image. 

My Broadband Ping - BGL1

BGL
Dialled in

My current BQM - standard time for the issue around 6-10pm daily.

BGL_0-1651134862285.png

My Broadband Ping - BGL1

I have similar graphs - thurs 28th.

Not us, Virgin network and as you suggest possibly congestion. You cant tell anyone at Virgin this (support is jokes), or get them to fix it/feed back when it will be resolved.

Its the elephant in the room.

Capture.PNG

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See this Mega-thread

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/VM-CORE-NETWORK-FAILURE-URGANT/td-p/4986440

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi BGL, thank you for posting to bring this to our attention. 

Sorry to see you have been having the issues showing on your BQM. 

Having had a look on our systems the signal coming into your hub is looking good, however there are a large number of disconnections showing from the past month - 85 in total. 3 of which have been in the past week. I believe some of these issues are attributed to a local area outage in the past month which has recently been resolved. 

How is everything going at the moment? How long do you believe this issue to have been ongoing for? (Do you have a date when you first noticed it occur?)

All the best. 

Molly

The last two days have been fine. We’ll see how things are next week.

My Broadband Ping - BGL1