cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Problem AFTER Virgin do a system check.Hub was set as Modem but reset to factory settings??

JimHd
Joining in

My service provider many years ago was NTL and when they got taken over by Virgin I became a Virgin customer.

My wife who has a secondary account on my account has kept her NTL e-mail address. So for many years almost every day she has sent and received e-mails to an ntlworld.com e-mail address.

Last week (11th August) her emails stopped working. There was a problem connecting to the imap and smtp servers

I rang the customer (automated) services, and the most appropriate response for me to choose was option2, a broadband problem.

I was then told a check would be run on my system which would briefly disconnect me.

Afterwards I rang again and got to speak to a person to explain the problem.

However it was some time before I realised that SEVERAL devices on my network were not working properly. One important device not working was a Raspberry Pi running security cameras.

It took me some time to find the problem. The problem was that somehow my Virgin Hub which I had set as a Modem had reverted to being a Router. So the local ip address had changed from 192.168.100.1 to 192.168.0.1 which caused total havoc as my wi-fi router also has that address.

The only explanation I can think of is that the test on my system reset my Hub to factory settings

If I am correct how could I prevent this happening again?

It does seem incredulous that Virgin would reset the Hub to factory settings without a check on how it was set up.

I would actually be pleased to be told that I am wrong and Virgin does not do this.

I would be grateful for any comments on this

Many thanks

Jim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Jim,

Welcome to the Community Forums! Thanks for your first post.

A factory reset can only be performed on the customer's end by performing the factory reset process (sticking a pin into the pinhole for at least 60 seconds). There's no way we can perform this remotely for you. We can only reboot your hub remotely and this would only be performed with permission in conversation with the team.

Could it be possible that you've had a power cut briefly? Power cuts have, in rare cases, been known to revert hubs back to default settings. This can also sometimes happen if the hub has been switched off for a significant amount of time, however I assume that has not been the case.

If you have any further issues from here just let us know.

Beth

Beth

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

lotharmat
Community elder
The 100.1 --> 0.1 change is indicative of a reset from modem mode to router mode!

I'd say that the automatic test that was performed reset your hub!

I was under the impression that the automated tests only ever rebooted the hubs....

Happy (or unhappy) to be corrected!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you looked in the email forum

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Unable-to-access-email-inbox/td-p/4794418

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John, Thanks for the info although my post was not about the problem with emails, it was about my Router being reset by Virgin.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Welcome to the Community Forums! Thanks for your first post.

A factory reset can only be performed on the customer's end by performing the factory reset process (sticking a pin into the pinhole for at least 60 seconds). There's no way we can perform this remotely for you. We can only reboot your hub remotely and this would only be performed with permission in conversation with the team.

Could it be possible that you've had a power cut briefly? Power cuts have, in rare cases, been known to revert hubs back to default settings. This can also sometimes happen if the hub has been switched off for a significant amount of time, however I assume that has not been the case.

If you have any further issues from here just let us know.

Beth

Beth

Hi Beth,

Thank you for your reply.

This is exactly what I needed to know, that Virgin cannot remotely reset the Hub to factory settings.

My wife and I were actually in Portugal when all of this happened (-my attempt to report that emails were not working and the system check being done).

The very next day my son still at home in the UK rang me to say there had been a power cut at home, and although the power had been restored the Virgin Hub was not on and there was no internet. This is because certain devices which I might need to reboot work through a remote (which I can control from Portugal). This is so we can get UK TV over the internet in Portugal

So the Virgin Hub was actually off for about 2 hours.

I am glad that I now have the likely explanation for what has happened.

Unfortunately the two separate problems occurred at roughly the same time.

Many thanks for this

Jim

Thank you for letting us know @JimHd.

We are glad to have been able to bring some clarity in regards to this.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs