cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mesh slowing things down

andymacv
Tuning in

Hi,

Just had Virgin Volt 200 installed and have reconnected my Tenda mesh system and the speed drops right off.  It runs at around 200mbps then I connect the mesh and it drops to around 50mbps.  Virgin are sending out their boosters but tbh the mesh is fairly new and surely should work. 

Looking forward

andymacv

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yep I think that means its the MW3. Its a budget system with 10/100 ethernet ports.  Check the "specs" in the manual that came with it- better equipment has 1GB ports.

It will never get more than 10Mbps up and 100 Mbps down (no matter whether its with VM or plusnet) and that is on an ethernet cable connected device - on wifi it will be much less 50Mbps sounds about right unless you have optimised it on  the 5GHz frequency band - when you should get closer to 100 - assume your devices are up to receiving those speeds.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Your tenda mesh is probably rubbish, what model do you have?

Hi it's Tenda Nova AC1200 while home mesh WiFi system, it worked superbly with Plusnet.

Hi it's Tenda Nova AC1200 while home mesh WiFi system, it worked superbly with Plusnet.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Mw6 or Mw3 ?

The MW3 can never get more than 100 - and in reality it will be much less.   The MW6 can get the higher speed connections

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John,

It says Mesh 3f on the base not sure if that helps.

Andy

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yep I think that means its the MW3. Its a budget system with 10/100 ethernet ports.  Check the "specs" in the manual that came with it- better equipment has 1GB ports.

It will never get more than 10Mbps up and 100 Mbps down (no matter whether its with VM or plusnet) and that is on an ethernet cable connected device - on wifi it will be much less 50Mbps sounds about right unless you have optimised it on  the 5GHz frequency band - when you should get closer to 100 - assume your devices are up to receiving those speeds.

--------------------
John
--------------------

Thanks John much appreciated.

Hi andymacv, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community. 

We're sorry to hear you're having an issue with speeds when connecting your 3rd party mesh system. 

I can see that jbrennand has been able to provide some help on this. As you are getting full speeds though the Hub itself, have you tried using the WiFi on that instead? You may find that you don't need the mesh system at all 🙂 

Let us know how things are once you've removed the mesh system. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Kath,

Thanks for the welcome and advice.  WiFi from the hub direct is good but it doesn't reach the whole house so VM are sending a booster/extender out so fingers crossed.