cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legal randomly blocked

Srassi
Tuning in

Virgin Media randomly blocked a legal website I regularly use for work. The website is vhhml.org, a database hosted by a university institution. I am an academic researcher whose work is heavily dependant on this site's resources. I've had two lengthy phone chats with customer service and technical teams. All they could do was confirm that the site was blocked in error and the block will be removed on 1 May. The problem is, I need the block removed now, not in a week, as I'm currently working from home due to health and my job depends on it. This is very concerning from a net neutrality and data privacy perspective; vhmml.org is a legal educational website that Virgin arbitrarily decided to block. I'm paying a lot of money for broadband and supporting a family in the midst of a cost of living crisis, so would appreciate if this problem could be resolved swiftly. Further info:

-- I noticed the block on 22 April 2023. Prior to that, I was always able to access the site, with no interruptions, via Virgin Media Broadband.

-- The problem occurs on all devices connected to Virgin media broadband.

-- The site works on other networks (e.g. my phone data), so I know this to be an issue on Virgin's side.

-- On 23 April I ran two trace tests with technical and customer support, with no resolution.     

23 REPLIES 23

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Srassi, can you post redacted output from running trace route and the following command:

curl -Iv https://www.vhmml.org/

Hi @Srassi 👋.

Thanks for your post. Sorry to hear you are having issues with a particular site. Are you still having ongoing issues with this or did you manage to get on the website in question? 

Please let us know.

Sabrina

Hi. Yes, the website vhmml.org (accidentally mistyped in my initial messaged) is still blocked. I have since tried accessing it by switching the hub to modem mode. It technically worked but was very slow, and in any case I shouldn't have to make these kinds of changes in order to access a single website. I've also run trace tests, made sure safety is turned off, and tried different devices and browsers. As I've said numerous times, during a phone call on 23 April with technical support I was told that the site was blocked for an undisclosed reason, and that the block would be removed on 1 May. This is completely unacceptable and shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Client62
Legend

Try the link below I've done the DNS lookup and put in the IP in the link to avoid any DNS blocking issues :

Direct IP link to https://www.vhmml.org/