cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop not connecting to wifi

Florida1975
Joining in

We have just installed the new HUB 5 but my windows laptop won’t connected to the Wi-Fi.

I have followed everything but when I click to find our Wi-Fi it’s not there. I can see everyone else’s nearby.

Help! 

16 REPLIES 16

We had connection issues with the first Windows 10 AX device we've owned being introduced to our home network a couple of years ago and connecting it to an ASUS AC86U AC router. No special configuration on the router. In the end, it was the default settings in the Intel wireless adapter's advanced settings that caused the problem. I disabled everything that wasn't needed and have had no connection issues ever since. So, this might be worth checking.
SH2 modem mode | AC86U router | AC68U node

Hi @aosullivan thanks a lot for your reply.

Apologies, we do of course mean your desktop PC. 

Does the desktop connect to the broadband when connected via ethernet cable, can you try this to see if this then picks up the wifi shortly after the disconnection of the cable?

I'd also recommend following @mjpartyboy's tips in terms of checking the wireless adapter's advanced settings, having a look at this to see if there's anything that could be preventing your desktop from seeing our wifi.

I hope this helps and please let us know if you need any further help.

Many thanks

Tom_W

I cannot try an Ethernet cable as the router is in a different room

i have checked the Wi-Fi card as best I can, but not knowing what all the advanced setting do.. I am not doing to risk changing anything without specific advice 

Hi aosullican1977, 

Thank you for your reply. 

With the advanced network settings for your desktop, we would recommend speaking with your manufacturer directly for more detailed instructions. 

There also may be an online forum who can also offer support with this. 

Ideally, we would need to test the Hub via a wired connection to establish if this is a WiFi or hardware issue. Do any other devices have difficulty connecting since splitting the connections? 

Thanks, 

Nat

For the Intel wireless adapter in our Win10 laptop, I searched the adapter's model number and there was a support guide that explained what each of the advanced settings did in just enough detail to be helpful. I also searched the specific settings where I wasn't familiar with them. I then disabled everything that wasn't going to be useful with our home network and have never had a connection issue on the 2.4 or 5 GHz Wi-Fi since.
SH2 modem mode | AC86U router | AC68U node

Hi mjpartyboy, thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.

Sorry to hear that your laptop is not connecting to WiFi.  When you say your home network, do you mean our hub, or do you mean a 3rd party router?  It is our router, have you tried a pinhole reset of your hub?  If you do attempt this, please ensure you have access to the default password, before doing so?

Regards

Lee_R

Hi All - so I think I have found the solution. If you dont want to change network details on virgin, then change your network band of windows from 2.4 Hz to 5 Hz.

Use the below link and go to option: 

How to Switch Wi-Fi from 2.4GHz to 5GHz in Windows?

Once done this will work