cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Blocking

ellisb51
Joining in

My public IP seems to be blocked on a very large range of websites.

I have no reason for this to have happened e.g. malware / VPN / antivirus etc so please don't suggest anything like that. 

I have tried switching between modem & router mode with external router to try and force a public IP change however this was unsuccessful. And I don't expect leaving the router turned off for a while will help as the IP addresses seem to be quite 'static' even though they are meant to be dynamic.

Are VM able to change the public IP manually as I cannot access a huge range of websites?

Any help/advice appreciated.

Thank you.

20 REPLIES 20

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Time for a new router.

You can set DNS on your PC.
---------------------------------------------------------------

@twyst Could you explain the later steps in that please?

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
It likely will not work but its to run cmd in admin with:
ipconfig /release

---------------------------------------------------------------

Twyst
On our wavelength

Assuming a Windows laptop can get the DHCP lease then the above command is fine. I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't get a lease either.

If you're running a unix based laptop and have dhcpcd installed then this also works, replace eth0 with the wired interface name.

dhcpcd -k eth0

or if you use dhclient instead

dhclient -r eth0

For other clients, read their fine manuals 🙂

Thanks, I'm on MacBook, have tried renewing the DHCP lease on modem mode which does give me then a different WAN IP, but as expected when returning to router mode - the same (blocked) IP is still set.

Is there anything else I can try as most websites are 'access denied' and therefore my internet is 80% unusable.

Thanks

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As explained by @jem101 , you will not get a new WAN IP address unless you get a new Hub, or use your own Router.  VM's WAN IP's are very sticky and generally only change when the network is resegmented for expansion.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

So effectively I need to contact VM for a new hub?

Twyst
On our wavelength

For the curiously minded, can you give a few examples of these swathes of internet sites you cannot access?

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ellisb51 wrote:

So effectively I need to contact VM for a new hub?

Unless your existing Hub has a fault, you will not get a new one.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Twyst
On our wavelength

Another solution is to use modem mode until the DHCP lease for router mode has expired. Then you *may* get a new IP going back to router mode, but there's no guarantee.