cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't log into my Hub 3.0 router

Pilkie
On our wavelength

Hi

I have just had an engineer swap out my Hub 3.0 for a new one because when I try to log into my router I get the message:

"Please note!
Someone else is currently logged into the settings page. Only one session at a time is allowed. Please try again later."

I've only had the account for about 2 or 3 weeks.
The engineer couldn't find out what the problem was, so he swapped my router for a new one. I could log in ok yesterday, which is when my router was swapped, I can't log in today and I have the same message.
There is only me and my wife here and my wife doesn't know how to manipulate settings and such, so it isn't her trying to log into the router.
This is just an ordinary domestic account, I can't believe anyone would try to hack into my system, there isn't any information that would be of any use to anyone.
Is there anyone else who has suffered from this problem, if so, how did you cure it?

Thanks in advance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Why not stick the Hub in modem mode and use your own router and wireless equipment. That way you regain full control of what is going on with you connections

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are you using the app or trying via a web browser? You could try a pin hole reset of the hub, hold the switch in for 1 minute an the hub will restart, do not power it off.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Pilkie
On our wavelength

I use a web browser, Edge to be specific, I also use a password manager to make sure I always get the password correct. I have used computers and the internet for years and this is the first time I've ever had this problem.

I tried a reset on my first router, which worked for about a day, then reverted to not letting me in, I have a suspicion that if I try again I'll have the same result, so, really, I'm looking for a fix.

It'll be great if you can supply me with a fix, even if you don't, thanks for replying.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Why not stick the Hub in modem mode and use your own router and wireless equipment. That way you regain full control of what is going on with you connections

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Pilkie
On our wavelength

I must admit, this has crossed my mind.

I have a few smart bulbs around the house and this would solve any problems changing hubs would cause. If I bought my own router and use that to distribute my wireless signals, should I ever have to change my hub, I'd be able to just plug my own router into the new hub and all would be set up again. 

Any suggestion as to which router to buy, price does come into it as I am a pensioner?

Thanks for your suggestions.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Just make sure that any you get has 1GB ethernet ports. The best ones are from established networking companies like Asus, Netgear, TP-Link, Xyxel, etc.

A good introductory unit at a very good price (£40) is this one (I have never used it but others on here have and say good things.)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Archer-C6-Wireless-Supports-Parental/dp/B07L5YRYF4/

--------------------
John
--------------------

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Pilkie

Thanks for posting on our community forum! 

Are you able to log-in to the router today at all?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Pilkie
On our wavelength

Hi guys

Yes, I have been able to log into my router today, it turns out the problem was me.

I had occasionally, instead of logging off from my router, had been just closing the tab I was using, which had the effect of keeping me signed in, but not allowing me to access the setup page again. All is now working as it should, however, I have ordered a new router from Amazon, which arrives today. I'm thinking of putting my Virgin Media router in modem mode and setting the new router up with the same user identification and password as the Virgin Media router, so, affectedly as far as my wifi goes, nothing has changed and I avoid having to reset all my bits and pieces again.

So, what do you all think, am I on the right lines?

Again, thanks in advance for all your help.

Yes, that would be the best way to go about it.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Connect it is this sequence

Set up your own router (in its settings) with the WAN port set to be in DHCP (& Nat) mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Then, disconnect all cables from your new router and switch it off and unplug it.

Then, put the VM Hub into modem mode
( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode )
and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!).

Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off. Switch your router on and make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the ethernet cable from its WAN port to the VM hub (any port will do).

NOW… power up the VM hub and wait 10 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a good connection. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------