cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub3 in modem mode constantly dropping connection

dirkg
Tuning in

I've got my Hub3 set in modem mode and it keeps disconnecting all throughout the day. The Wi-Fi isn't dropping connection to the router. It also drops out whilst hardwired (conference calls are hard work). I've compared the upstream and downstream levels with other levels found on here and they seem fine. I've been monitoring with broadband quality monitor and most days look like the below.

This was the 30th June:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/bb677e0a575a91da2d13a0d39461eb1752b2ce65-30-06-2020

This was today:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/b3b6c480fd9ea60202670bbe31e45359bea28a59-01-07-2020

So far

- Reset router

- Fitted a new virgin coax cable

- Cleaned and remade all the connections

- Turned on/off, that sort of thing

I don't know if this is the norm but if I restart the router, after a while I can no longer reach it on the local network to log in. It times out and I have to restart it to reach it again.

Any help would be much appreciated

25 REPLIES 25

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
What make/model router do you have?

---------------------------------------------------------------

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Where did you get new VM cable and connectors - or did a VM tech do it and re-balance your signal levels afterwards?

You could try another factory reset – a lot of the VM techies on here are suggesting it as a first option and it has worked for many customers.

Note that a pinhole reset on a Hub3 can be a bit problematic - so do it EXACTLY this way (not as the VM website says!).

With the Hub switched "on", disconnect any ethernet connections and then push in the “reset pin” with the end of a paperclip/thin nail or similar (bigger items like ball point pen ends may not press it in far enough) until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold it there firmly for a "timed" minimum of 60 seconds do NOT restart the Hub after that. Leave it 10' or so to stabilise and then your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings and the Wifi networks will revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card. Make sure you use the wifi one for devices connecting to the wifi and the settings/admin one to access the Hub (it is a six digit numeric one).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for the advice.

This is what it says on the bottom of it. I assume this is the model number?

VMDG505 TG2492lG-VM

I turned it off and on again so I could access the admin section which gives me a bit more info. After resetting, the upstream and downstream and network log look like this:

Downstream:

https://gist.github.com/alexhartley/d1832e256d1d0821ea99cf34b5686251

Upstream:

https://gist.github.com/alexhartley/44affe8acfc74388b4b3da61e4a84a49

And network log:

https://gist.github.com/alexhartley/b3d2620cd63b71da6aadb3c132c98d7d

It has a 6db Forward Path Attenuator already fitted to it.

> Where did you get new VM cable and connectors

This is the one that goes from the internal wall to the hub. It's just a metre long one I got off ebay.

I'll let it settle down and the see how it looks on the broadband quality monitor.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@dirkg wrote:

This is what it says on the bottom of it. I assume this is the model number?

VMDG505 TG2492lG-VM

Your router not the hub thats doing the pinging for BQM.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Ah right sorry.

The modem is plugged into a TP-Link Archer C7 AC1750 running openwrt. That in turn has a TP-LINK TL-WDR3600 N600 (also running openwrt) plugged into it that's just acting as a wifi access point upstairs. There's also a TP-Link TL-WPA7510KIT power plug thing that's also acting as a wifi access point. I've gone through various different combinations of having them plugged in and unplugged but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Again, not sure if this is relevant, but it will will go a day or so and be fine. Then for no reason that I can ascertain will start to drop again. For example this was the 25th Jun:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/e4386878bd6003e62f897500d055672275...

Then the day after was terrible again. Nothing changed in my usage of it and I didn't mess with anything from one day to the next.

@dirkg wrote:

> Where did you get new VM cable and connectors

This is the one that goes from the internal wall to the hub. It's just a metre long one I got off ebay.

I'll let it settle down and the see how it looks on the broadband quality monitor.

That won't help matters ^^^^^

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

I thought to same so I tested with the original and the new one and they both gave the same results. I'm not sure where to source official cables from.

I would expect virgin staff would be a good place to source an official one, so hopefully someone from Virgin to see this and send an engineer out. I find it ridiculous that you can't contact them or book them from your virgin dashboard for some reason. I've spent way too many hours going round and round in circles through various call centres in India. It's just really frustrating when all I want to do is contact to an actual Virgin member of staff that can actually send someone out to fix. Instead I have to jump through these hoops.

That's not a go at you by the way! I really appreciate you taking the time to try and help.

Port the network, upstream and downstream logs from the hubs admin pages

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi