cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 upgrade link

Andrew3651
Dialled in

Had an email telling me I could claim an upgrade to Hub 4. Unfortunately (and not for the first time) the link sent by Virgin doesn't work.

Happening to anyone else?

146 REPLIES 146

The Hub 4 is really unlikely to offer much if anything in the way of improved wifi performance and indeed judging from some other comments, comes with its own set of issues!

If you are intending to stick with VM for the higher speed, then your best option is to get your own wifi router (you'd be looking at around £100 for a decent one), put the VM hub into modem mode and then use your own equipment for wifi provision - almost certainly it'll be a better experience.

It'd be nice to check it out before splashing out on external kit to support an already not cheap service, not least given the claims made by VM about the improved performance H4 is said to offer. After all, the company did say upgrades were free. Should they ever happen which on current performance is looking a touch doubtful. If I were to invest in a router I might be minded to go with future-proofed 4G which, of course, would mean never having to deal with VM CS ever again 🙂

I have no clue about router tech and which routers are decent and would improve the current issue.

Any advice ? 

If I did bite the bullet and invest, I don't want an all bells and whistles solution, I just want it to work, so don't really want to splash out on anything too flash or that has features that I won't use.

If I put the current one in to modem and link another to the LAN port, does that mean I have to connect 3 devices at all times, ie router, Hub and power for fibre box ? That's making me even more frustrated that I'd have to pay for a router and more cost to run everything.  Come back old PlusNet all is forgiven.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Did you try manually setting the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi channel to 1, 6, or 11 to see if that improved matters?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Still heard nothing from H4 team. VM really don't give a flying one do they.

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello Andrew3651

Can you please reply to my private message 

I need t get account details So that this can be passed onto our Projects Team to investigate 

Gareth_L

Proper hat tip to Gareth as, thanks to his efforts, I now have a delivery date. Please all bow and curtsey before him 🙂

Thanks for those comments Andrew3651

I shall resume my forum duties until that Medal and chocolate and beer arrives 

But serious I am glad it's all been resolved for you 

Any issues pop back on here start a new thread and we can look at what needs looking at 

Gareth_L

I have over time read large numbers of negative and at times offensive comments regarding the  poor nature of the customer service generated by VM

Indeed I have like you experienced them at their worst , but also at their best , I have been trying for months now to get the Hub 4, and having it infered that  despite national press coverage and VM own websites that a rollout does not exist, and that despite the fact I have been diagnosed twice now with Covid ( Lightning does strike twice), the overseas agents showed no empathy whatsover. But I have survived.

The UK based CS ,have on the other hand been very kind  and helpfull in a number of ways , yet despite several requests deny me the chance of a hub 4 , hiding behind corporate poĺicy this an dont know that

I have had a rotten 6 months VM how about some real customer service and find me a hub 4, they exist , you have them in your stores, so how about it

For those that have managed to get a hub 4 and are NOT on the gig 1 service, has it made and difference to your latency ?

I wondered if the new hub would solve the “puma” issues with the hub 3 ?

2 X ASUS RT-AC66U B1's in AP mode