cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 red power light

zenstar
Joining in

I've got a Hub 3 router and for the last 4 or 5 days the power light has been solid red (not the wifi light or the "trying to connect" light). The connection seems stable and I've not noticed any drops.

I've tried turning it off and on again and I've tried the pinhole reset. The light remains constantly red.

It is standing upright and has plenty of air space around it. It's warm to the touch, but not hot (cooler than the TV box), but from what I've read this is either an overheating issue or an issue with the sensor.

How do I go about ordering a replacement hub?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

a red light can mean the hub is over heating - thats the primary function of the light - it MAY be a circuit fault or a faulty led but for safety you should turn the hub off at night and if no one is in - the hub needs replacing - hopefully VM will get that sorted asap

Tony.
Sacked VIP

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi zenstar

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

Thanks for doing the other checks mentioned in the post. How long did you do the PIN reset for?

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

I held the pin (pencil) in and counted to 15, until the lights on the lan cables went off. I then let go and it started up again.

Thanks for coming back to me @zenstar

Did this solve things? The reset does need to be 60 seconds however.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

This did not change anything. i can try holding it in for 60 seconds when i get back home and see if that does anything, but this seems like a sensor failure to me.

i’ll report back

Hi John_GS,

After holding in the pin for over 60 seconds and letting it restart (this also reset the password to access which means, i assume, that the factory reset was successful) the red light remains on.

It seems like this is not an issue that is going away without hardware changes.

Hi @zenstar

Did the PIN reset resolve this?

Let me know 

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Hi John

Unfortunately not. The password reset (so the PIN reset / factory reset was successful) but the red light remains on.

Just to check, might be a red herring (ha...) - do you happen to be in modem mode?  I ask because the 'red light' in modem mode is by design

------------------

My Broadband Ping - My VM

Hi John,

I don’t believe so. while i have a mesh connected via a switch over lan, i still connect to the hub via wifi with some devices (the mesh is only 100gb throughput and some devices like the full available bandwidth so connect directly to the hub via wifi).

ive never tried to change the hub’s mode and my understanding is that in modem mode there’s no wifi.

the red light just came on one day without me changing any settings and has remained on.