cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 loses 2.5Ghz channel

duncanda59
On our wavelength

My Hub 3 loses its 2.5GHz channel. It operates fine on the 5GHz channel, but to access the 2.5GHz channel it keeps asking for the password. When the password is input correctly, it comes back with "Incorrect password" message. I reset the Hub and it worked okay for an hour or so, but then started to ask for password again. The problem is, I need the 2.5GHz channel for my home CCTV cameras. It has worked okay for a few months since I got it. Any ideas, or do I just report to Virgin and get a new Hub?

13 REPLIES 13

lotharmat
Community elder
If it were me and I had home security linked up to my wireless network; I'd get my own router! The VM hubs are decent enough modems but lousy, bargain-bucket routers!

It will save your sanity!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try a full 60 second factory reset on the Hub. 

Remove any ethernet cables from the Hub.  Hold the pin hole reset for 60 seconds and DO NOT reboot the Hub afterwards, just let it do it's thing.  Make sure the passwords on the bottom of the Hub are legible as you will need these after a factory reset.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

duncanda59
On our wavelength

Hi. Thanks. I did a factory reset and it worked for a while, then the 2.5GHz channel fault returned.

It is likely really poor firmware - the hubs are plagued with it!

Thanks. If I go down a separate router, can you suggest one that works with the Hub 3? TP-Link?

I have been more than happy with the Archer C7 (TP-Link)

Good coverage, speed and very configurable!

Thanks

Well after spending over 30 minutes on the phone to support, I'm no further forward. "Switch this off, reset, still not working, but I see a couple of devices connected to the 2.4GHz channel."  Yes, they work, but I don't know why, but 3 iPhones, 3 laptops, etc. can't connect to the 2.4GHz channel, therefore it's not working.  "Okay, try a 60 second reset, okay so it's still not working.?"  No it's not.  "Okay, I need to speak to tech department, I'll call you back later."  No call back so far.  As it was left, I didn't have access on certain devices to either channel and so I've reset (10 secs.) and renamed the 5GHz channel, which works.  I'll try again tomorrow, but of course since I don't have fault reference number, I'll probably have to start again.

As a business decision, it seems to me it'd be cheaper for Virgin to send me a new Hub 3.

Hi there @duncanda59

Thank you so much for your post and I am so sorry to see that this has been happening! 

Can I ask how things are looking since your last post? 

Thanks again.