cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HUB4 No internet connection to Mesh Wifi

Andy8081
Tuning in
  • I've taken the plunge and bought an ASUS Zenwifi router to replace the Hub4, which is dropping out in some areas of my house and not providing anything close to 1Gb speeds (200-300Mpbs on average)

VM kindly provided me with an additional WiFi Pod but didn't prevent drop out/lag, particularly with Xbox consoles, we run with 3 regularly.

I've followed the instructions on here and those provided by VM and ASUS.

1. Wired connection to HUB4 and turn to MODEM MODE.

2. Initiate new Router and set WAN to DHCP

3. Switch off Hub4 and remove all ethernet cables.

4. Connect new router to Hub4.

5. Switch on Hub4.

My Hub4 still pushes the original VM SSID and my new router can't connect to the Internet.

I phoned customer services but went round in circles a little and have been promised a call from an engineer. In the meantime does anyone have any experience of this or any advice to offer.

Thank you

7 REPLIES 7

Andy8081
Tuning in

UPDATE

OK, after reading some more threads, I tried this,

1. Connected ASUS WiFi to Hub4 with ethernet cable when HUB4 in WiFi Mode. This worked and provided new router with Internet connection but provided 2 Wifi SSIDs.

2. Logged into Hub4 again, kept it on WiFi mode but disabled the wifi. Also disabled the VM Hotspot sharing.

3. Internet connection is now flying and no VM SSID showing.

Please tell me I've not done anything stupid as I was pulling my hair out trying to connect i Modem Mode.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No thats fine. However your set up is being "hampered" by still using the Hub router. The Asus one is a quantum leap better !

When you connected - are you sure you changed the Asus Wan port settings to be in Dynamic/Automatic IP or DHCP (& Nat) mode ?  It ought to connect fine that way - double check

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Andy8081
Tuning in

I've rechecked, ASUS WAN setting is DHCP.

It's a bit of a headscracher.

I read on here that disabling WiFi on Hub4 BEFORE switching to Modem Mode solved the problem, I'll try that later and keep this thread updated.

I've got an ASUS XT8 and even hampered the speed has almost doubled so better already.

Thanks for taking time to respond.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are you sure the hub4 is in modem mode, the LED band should be green.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

I've connected PC to Hub4 and switched between Modem and WiFi mode a few times. Lightband has remained White, albeit after some intermittent flashing, its never been any other colour. WiFi is off and I cant connect to internet on Modem Mode so pretty sure modes have changed.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It should be green, see this ‘pink sticky’ at the top of this section.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Hub-4-Solid-green-light-whilst-in-Bridge-mo...

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Why is it so god damn hard for people to use modem mode! I like to blame VM should it be a firmware update or is it user error or these damn Mesh units!😠

I just don't get the problem!

If all else fails the old way of connect a PC to the hub change the thing to modem mode and get that working either by power off hub for 2 mins or unplug replug Ethernet. Then connect that PC to your router log in and find MAC clone option to copy the MAC to router and connect router to hub.

---------------------------------------------------------------