cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Green pipe & cabling at new house

dbanahan45
Joining in

We've just moved into a new house and there's a green pipe snaking along the perimeter of my front fence. One end has exposed wires on the public pathway and the other end is cut and sitting on the drive.

It is clearly VM based on other fittings in the house. Why wasn't this removed rather than left after disconnection? Shoddy work in my opinion.

Am I free to cut it at the public pathway and dump the wiring and piping?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

When a resident cancels their VM services, it's very rare for VM to spend money & effort in physically removing their cabling as it creates a potential barrier to current or future residents connecting.

Do you have some photos of the alleged H&S risk?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

When a resident cancels their VM services, it's very rare for VM to spend money & effort in physically removing their cabling as it creates a potential barrier to current or future residents connecting.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@japitts wrote:

And this is entirely true, the real issue is that removing the cables will cost VM money which they can never recoup, plus should a current or subsequent occupant want VM services it will cost them more again to reinstate the cables.

Not that this is in anyway the OP's issue, so, based on posts from other forum members with similar issues, my advice would be this, you could, if you feel publicly spirited, call VM and request that the cables be removed. This request will absolutely be ignored, in which case give it a reasonable time (and legally 14 days is regarded as being 'reasonable') after which you take a pair of cable cutters to it and dump the whole lot into the nearest skip.

At least you will know that you tried, yes? 

dbanahan45
Joining in

Compress_20230221_214453_3085.jpg

dbanahan45
Joining in

I'd agree 14 days is fairly charitable even though they won't do anything about it.

I doubt we'll ever need the cabling anyway but I'm amazed that the previous owners were happy with the initial work. Doesn't appear to have been a clean job i.e. green pipe sitting on beds etc.

But hey ho I will let them know and see what happens after two weeks.

Hey dbanahan45, thank you for reaching out and a warm welcome to the community I am so sorry to hear this about this.

Have you managed to speak to anyone at all about this?

As mentioned above we are allowed to keep this connected when people in and out of homes.

Please let me know either way. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?