cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FaceTime group calls don't work on WiFi

BBVM
Tuning in

For the past few months, FaceTime group calls have not been working when we are at home. This affects all of our devices (iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, iPad Air, MacBook Air).

We are able to accept one-to-one FaceTime video and audio calls. When using these devices in other locations, which use different internet providers, we have no problems with group FaceTime calls. The same goes for making the calls on 4G.

We have tried all of the troubleshooting options online, but the details above should clearly point to the fact that our home internet is the problem. When we receive or make a group FaceTime call, we just get stuck with a "Connecting..." message, and the call never connects.

Could this be due to Virgin Media blocking whatever protocol Apple uses for its group FaceTime calls, whether it's set externally or on our hub or something?

Thanks.

15 REPLIES 15

Client62
Legend

Check the Virgin Media online account settings for Web Safe.

Settings required :

++ Virus Safe - Enabled
++ Child Safe - DIsabled    ( if Enable this will block VPN and Conf calls )

Both of those settings are disabled, so it doesn't seem like that is what causes the issue.

Hi BBVM,

👋 welcome back to our community! Thank you for for your post, it has been quite a while, hope you have kept well, sorry to hear FaceTime group calls don't work on WiFi, I was able to locate you on our system with the details we have for you cannot see any issues, I was able to find some further information 👉here.

Please let us know how you get on.

Regards

Paul. 

Thanks for having a look. We have gone through the steps on that link several times, to no avail. As I said, FaceTime works on those devices on cellular, or in other locations, but not on our home network, for all devices, across two Apple IDs. Even a new device, bought after we first encountered the issue, has the same problem.

I had a look at our router settings the other day and could not see anything out of place, but maybe there is something there. Microsoft Teams and Zoom work with no problems, as do one-to-one FaceTime calls. I suppose that I will just have to hunt around in the settings again then.

Take a look at Apple's Private Browsing Tools, these are a type of VPN which can affect connectivity.  Try with it Disabled and Enabled.

Private Relay (if that is what you are talking about) requires a paid iCloud account, which neither of us has, so we have it disabled anyway.

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi BBVM 👋

Thanks for the updates you've provided on this. Similar to Paul, I've taken a look on our side and there are some levels out of specification on your service. To clarify, have you ever made any changes to your home network through your Hub Settings? If so, can you try reverting these settings to identify which change may be the cause?

Can you also try rebooting your Hub by switching it off at the back, and then switching it back on again?

I've also attempted a group FaceTime call on a Virgin Media home network, and this has worked perfectly fine and all members were able to join - meaning this is most likely an isolated issue on your personal network.

Thanks, 

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
My money is on a flaky wifi connection.

Try your online meetings on a laptop/computer connected directly to the Hub on a good Cat6a ethernet cable - at least for the duration of any important meetings.

Note - any device can connect on ethernet with an "adapter" for any port that it does have.

If that works stably - then make that a permanent connection (best) or improve the wifi signal at the location of the device.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks, I will have a look at the settings, but I didn't notice anything that it could be last time I checked, a few days ago. I have tried rebooting my hub a few times before and that never resolved the issue. Group FaceTime worked before, so I know it's not Virgin Media as a whole, just my home network. I'll hunt through the settings again.