cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet connections drop out

groggery1
Joining in

I have four devices connected via Ethernet. The connections to them definitely work as from time to time (rather randomly) they are connected, but generally only 1 ethernet port works. This is a mystery to me and really irritating as I would prefer to use ethernet for streaming etc.

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Are they each connected directly into the VM Hub on their own cable - or are there switches or other devices (Router, Powerlines, etc) involved?

Are you in Modem mode? If so then only one port on the VM Hub is active - the one serving your router - the others are inactivated - you must connect everything to the router port(s)

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for responding.

1. Each connected via their own cable

2. Not in modem mode!

groggery1

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Have you replaced all cables with new Cat6a ones?

Have you swapped their ports?

Is there one port that is consistently ok? If so put an ethernet switch onto that one and connect all your devices to the switch and see if it stabilises

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

They are all Cat6 cables and are definitely working: they have all had a signal. Have swapped the ports around to see if the issue is the order of connection, but it seems the one going to one of the TVs upstairs always gets a signal if there are multiple cables plugged in. It just seems to like its MAC address and not the others.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

These is a slim possibility that you have an IP clash. I would suggest that you give each device a hardwired IP address in the device, try at string at 192.168.0.250, 251 etc.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
The never ending hub problems in router mode you should use hub in modem mode and get a better router with 1Gb ports.
---------------------------------------------------------------