cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cutting out around midnight every night!

urbankaos
Joining in

So for MONTHS now i've had this issue, what seems to be every day but I do get the odd days where it doesn't cut out, but usually without fail the whole internet will go off around 12am midnight (usually around 11:54-55-56), wifi and wired connections, to the point where if I want to watch a movie at night, I have to check how long it's on for and work out when I need to put it on, otherwise the internet goes and I miss the ending!

The internet usually goes off anywhere from 5 minutes to 40 minutes.... i've contacted Virgin multiple times about this, i've had multiple engineers out, multiple calls telling me that my internet is fine and theres no issues, telling me I need their free pods, telling me I need another engineer out, telling me the TP Link Deco mesh (they advised me to get) is the problem, telling me to constantly reboot my router, baring in mind I have the Hub 5 with the Gig speed... it's just getting stupid now!

I had an engineer out 2 weeks ago, she said the cable outside on my house was loose so she tightened that, she told me about noise on the line, she went to the box down the street and told me how mine was on the wrong thing and because i'm far from the box I needed to be on another which she said she sorted etc etc etc, and then the next day the internet went off again and has done multiple times since then, it never disconnects in the day time, not that i've noticed and I work from home and constantly online, but it's always going off around midnight and according to Virgin it isn't them, it isn't their end and so on, more engineers come out, more claim they've fixed the issue, and it then just goes off again!

I've already said i'd go back over to Sky in which Virgin then offered me the Gig speed and all TV channels and free coffees, free sausage rolls etc, yet can't seem to fix this issue with their broadband, which i've noticed is a common issue as i've read a LOT of threats about peoples broadband disconnecting around midnight yet never have any actual fixes, so i'm stuck.

I've turned my mesh off for tonight and devices I had connected to it i've gone ahead and connected to 5g instead, just so I can rule out the mesh system, i'll leave it off for a couple of nights and see if the internet goes off, I can't see if being the mesh as i've had it for over a year now, but we shall see.... if it goes off tonight then tomorrow i'll be rebooting the router, keeping the frequencies joined (as I usually split them), reconnecting ALLLLLL the devices back in my smart house, and again will see if it still goes off, but looking at the network log, it seems to be something Virgins end, and not with my mesh etc.

Time Priority Description
09-10-2022 23:56:09noticeREGISTRATION COMPLETE - Waiting for Operational status
09-10-2022 23:56:05noticeUS profile assignment change. US Chan ID: 6; Previous Profile: 13; New Profile: 11 13.;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
09-10-2022 23:55:59noticeDS profile assignment change. DS Chan ID: 32; Previous Profile: ; New Profile: 1 2 3.;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
09-10-2022 23:55:57warningDHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response ;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
09-10-2022 23:55:55noticeHonoring MDD; IP provisioning mode = IPv4
09-10-2022 23:55:48criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing;;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
09-10-2022 23:55:48criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing;;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
09-10-2022 23:55:47criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing;;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
09-10-2022 23:55:47criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing;;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
09-10-2022 23:55:36criticalCable Modem Reboot due to master console reset
09-10-2022 23:55:35criticalCable Modem Reboot due to master console reset
09-10-2022 23:53:54criticalCable Modem Reboot from SNMP
08-10-2022 23:54:03criticalCable Modem Reboot from SNMP
05-10-2022 23:56:13criticalCable Modem Reboot from SNMP
04-10-2022 23:55:23criticalCable Modem Reboot from SNMP
30-09-2022 23:56:52criticalCable Modem Reboot from SNMP
30-09-2022 00:23:32criticalCable Modem Reboot from SNMP
30-09-2022 00:20:42criticalCable Modem Reboot from SNMP
30-09-2022 00:17:47criticalCable Modem Reboot from SNMP
30-09-2022 00:14:32criticalCable Modem Reboot from SNMP
8 REPLIES 8

lowy
On our wavelength

Exact same issue as you pal. Always at 11:55. Has been doing it for quite some time now yet Virgin Media don’t seem too bothered, especially for us who are awake at the time it disconnects. Constant engineers out, been told to switch bands which only affects wireless anyway, everything goes out. 

Odd thing is, sometimes it’ll come back on for maybe one or two devices but most won’t work, then I can reset the router, come back online only to find that the ones that couldn’t connect before are now connected, and the ones that were, no longer are. It’s so weird yet such a pi** take

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey urbankaos, thank you for reaching out and  a warm welcome to the community, I am sorry to hear you are having some major connection issues.

I understand this frustrating, please can you let me know if this is every single night?

We do normally release software updates at around this time.

Please do let me know and we can get this looked into. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Nearly every night, was 5 nights in a row last week I believe, with the odd day or 2 where it doesn't go off.

Sadly I forgot to note down my network status log from the router settings before I reset the box, so obviously lost it all.

It's just getting really annoying now, to have it go off countless nights every week, days and days in a row, around the same time 11:54, 11:56, always just before 12am.

I've turned my mesh off, 60 second pinholed the router and had to go around and reconnect my smart house again, i've had engineers out all claiming it to be fixed and never is.

I work from home, and find I can work better at night, when it's silent, yet i'm unable to do this when the internet it going off multiple times a week, I shouldn't have to make sure i'm not working around 12am to get my income... I shouldn't have to make sure i'm in bed watching a film by 10pm on my day off in order to catch the end of it before my internet goes off, this isn't what i'm paying for.

I've been with Virgin for YEARS! and never experienced this issue whatsoever, it's only the past year this has been happening, it's nothing my end even though your technicians like to blame my mesh system etc, hence why I turned the whole mesh system off, they like to keep telling me I need to do a reset on the Hub, in which i've done countless times, yet nobody can actually tell me why my whole internet is going off just before 12am, and staying off anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour at times.

I know this is a Virgin problem as the amount of threads/posts i've read all over the internet about it us crazy! why is this happening?

Hey urbankaos, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry you are having some connection issues.

I understand this is very frustrating and I would like to look into this for you.

I am going to send you a PM, please look out for the purple envelope. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Same problem! Internet goes off or lags so slow that connections and web pages time out, from around 11:55 for ages.

so infuriating and really thinking of leaving Virgin! I dont want a Service provider who dictates when we have to got to bed! Why cant it do updates etc  when it not being used used? Not very Smart technology.…….

would love a resolution to this!

Hi LostPatience,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome back, sorry to hear you are losing connection temporarily around Midnight, as you are aware we do send updates in the early hours usually, I have been able to locate you on our system with the details we have for you and it has been recommended that you perform a pin rest on your Router, please can you first check all your internal connections are hand tight, this includes all equipment, wall connections and any splitters both powered and standard, once done while the Router is on, push a pin/ paper clip in the reset hole and keep pushed in for a timed 1 minute, once done allow 15 minutes to settle.

Regards

Paul.

If I had known there would be so many frequent software updates on the VM network causing dropouts in the early hours - I would have probably never signed up to VM, having previously been no the BT Network where there are very few drop outs at all in the early hours of the morning.

Thanks for your post @danvm01, and I'm sorry of the disappointment you feel with the services.

Looking into your local area, an outage is flagged and is estimated to be resolved at 09:00 tomorrow.

We apologise for the inconvenience caused and will do all within our power to have the services restored in full as soon as possible.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn