cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I add a second broadband line to my house, using existing phone line. (currently linked to VM)

mariutto
Dialled in

Edited-

I am one of the many still working from home. but I have had some very inconvenient VM outages that have affected my business.

I want to install a second Broadband line to give me a backup. (a different provider, sky/bt/something else)
I also don't want to have to lay new copper telephone wire unless i have to, as the current one already runs to my comms cab.

My Questions:

Can the new broadband use the Virgin Copper phone line? (I think they currently only use 2 of the 6 internal cables) can they simply use 2 of the spare?

If not can i cancel just my Virgin phone? and have the new broadband take over the cable I never use it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Moving to VOIP with us is the best solution, another provider is unlikely to use 50% of a cable already used by us. And we certainly wouldn't want that either.

Cancelling your telco with VM may not be worthwhile due to the discounts applied when you have multiple services.

We will be moving everyone to VOIP at some point in the future anyway.

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

26 REPLIES 26

Christy_D
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there

This can be done but it would then mean two accounts. 

I will send over a private message to discuss further.

Thanks

Christy

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Thanks

VM-Jon
Problem sorter

Hi,

I understand what you mean but having two accounts won't solve the problem as an outage would affect both accounts at the same time leaving you no better off.

You have 2 solutions, 

1. You resolve the outages  - Have you had a tech visit?

2. You sign up to another service provider as well giving you two independent internet connections making it less likely you would be without service. Having 2 with the same provider wouldn't help but cost twice as much.

Hope this helps.

Jon, Install manager.

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Correct I don't want a Virgin Broadband as the second internet? I want divergence of carrier, so i will choose BT or SKy, but they will want  to use copper rather than cable. I am asking can they use the same cable that is current used to serve the Virgin phone line, or do I have to cancel the virgin phone

spgray
Problem sorter
correct, having a second virgin connections provide zero backup as they would be sharing the same physical network, if one is down the other is likely to be also down.

you would need a separate connection from an entirely different ISP using a different physical network - ie an openreach based ISP.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

@mariutto wrote:

Correct I don't want a Virgin Broadband as the second internet? I want divergence of carrier, so i will choose BT or SKy, but they will want  to use copper rather than cable. I am asking can they use the same cable that is current used to serve the Virgin phone line, or do I have to cancel the virgin phone

no, they use two entirely different physical networks, virgin can't use BT lines, and BT can't use virgin lines.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

It possible.

You could move your current phone service to VOIP with us, or 21CV / VOC as we call it, this will make your existing line redundant. 

You could then have another provider utilise the existing wiring to your coms cupboard to power their service with a little tweaking. as long as you are only talking about internal wiring.

Jon

Correct I don't want a Virgin Broadband as the second internet? I want divergence of carrier, so i will choose BT or SKy, but they will want to use copper rather than cable. I am asking can they use the same cable that is current used to serve the Virgin phone line, or do I have to cancel the virgin phone

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
A second broadband connection by the same VM coax cable is not going to help if you have a outage.

---------------------------------------------------------------