cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ATOM Issues on Hub3

markru
Tuning in

Hi Forum Team 

I'm having issues most evenings and the network log is showing ATOM restarts which is causing disruption to services.  I believe the Hub hardware is at fault and respectfully request a replacement.  Please note I've had this router since April 2017.  

NOTICE ATOM is restarted due to RPC timeout as part of Self Healing Mechanism;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Thanks

24 REPLIES 24

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi markru, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you're having an issue with your broadband service. 

Checking things this end, the hub is looking good in terms of power and signal levels. I've looked at the speed being delivered to the hub which is full and also checked disconnections, they are very minimal (only 4 in the last month).

Can you please expand further on what disruption issues you are having so we can help further?

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

@Kath_F wrote:

Hi markru, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you're having an issue with your broadband service. 

Checking things this end, the hub is looking good in terms of power and signal levels. I've looked at the speed being delivered to the hub which is full and also checked disconnections, they are very minimal (only 4 in the last month).

Can you please expand further on what disruption issues you are having so we https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/08/intel-coughs-to-puma-cpu-flaw-that-hit-virgin-media-hu... help further?

Thanks, 

@Kath_F

Please forgive my exasperation on behalf of the OP.  Surely the Forum Team know that the Hub 3 is fatally flawed - as per 

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/08/intel-coughs-to-puma-cpu-flaw-that-hit-virgin-media-hu...

You need no more information from the OP other than the ATOM error that the OP reported.

Again, forgive me, but the right thing to do is to supply a Hub 4 to the OP which does not break down due to a flawed Intel CPU - in this and ALL ATOM cases.

@marku - you should have to go through this prolonged agony.  There are other threads with the same problem and I haven't yet seen VM do the right thing unless it was done behind rthe scenes.  The Hub 3 is a flawed device and VM know it. You cannot avoid this bug once it has started doing this.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Thanks @Sephiroth really appreciate the support on this one! 

Hi Kath_F

Thanks for the reply.  The ATOM recovery mechanism is resulting in loss of connectivity and wifi which is taking 10-15 minutes to recover to a point where the wifi is usable.  My virgin service up until now has been very stable and suitable to allow working from home.  This recent issues is having impact on my work and as such I need this fixed.  This is a known issue with the Hub3 hardware, so why is there a reluctance to replace the Hub with a newer version?  

Thanks 

Mark

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
There is reluctance at the moment... because VM (like other suppliers) have supply issues for all of their electronic equipment for the reasons well reported in the press.

AIUI there was a recent edict that no Hubs should be replaced unless proven to be faulty on a Tech visit. That may be relaxing now as there have been a couple of threads on here in the last few days, from posters who have received Hub4's after reporting a Hub3 as faulty - see message 27 here for example...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Dropouts-after-midnight-daily/m-p/5206290#M...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

@jbrennand wrote:
There is reluctance at the moment... because VM (like other suppliers) have supply issues for all of their electronic equipment for the reasons well reported in the press.

AIUI there was a recent edict that no Hubs should be replaced unless proven to be faulty on a Tech visit. That may be relaxing now as there have been a couple of threads on here in the last few days, from posters who have received Hub4's after reporting a Hub3 as faulty - see message 27 here for example...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Dropouts-after-midnight-daily/m-p/5206290#M...

I’m surprised to find you making excuses for Virgin Media. This flaw is as old as the Hub 3 (2016) and is proven faulty. No tech visit necessary. Now if VM came onto this Forum and acknowledged that the Hub 3’s reporting the ATOM failure need to be replaced and will be ASAP - yadayada, that would be a step forward.

But your explanation excusing them from a duty of care is uncalled for, imo. 

Btw, this “edict” - is it in the public domain or are you breaking this information to the wilder world?

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Sephiroth wrote:

I’m surprised to find you making excuses for Virgin Media. This flaw is as old as the Hub 3 (2016) and is proven faulty. No tech visit necessary. Now if VM came onto this Forum and acknowledged that the Hub 3’s reporting the ATOM failure need to be replaced and will be ASAP - yadayada, that would be a step forward.

But your explanation excusing them from a duty of care is uncalled for, imo. 

Not excusing anyone just stating the Hub supply situation reality as I  see it.

Btw, this “edict” - is it in the public domain or are you breaking this information to the wilder world?

Nope, its just never been contradicted... see message 5 which implies I am correct

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Hub-not-getting-power/td-p/5206224

.... and there are many posts where the customer states that is what they were told over the phone when requesting a Hub replacement.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

You know, I can’t help wondering if this ‘ATOM’ message isn’t just a bit of debug code, which really should have been stripped out prior to compilation.

To be honest, we need more information and examples, it is very easy to have some kind of connectivity drop, look at the logs and see one of these ‘ATOM’ messages at about the same time, put 2 and 2 together and come up with 5!

The question is, does a similar message appear in the logs when there ISN’T a corresponding connectivity drop? But of course nobody looks or checks logs when everything is working, do they?

Hi Kath, Forum Team

4 ATOM issues in the past 24 hours - 2 this morning during our working day.  This is unacceptable as this is impacting our businesses, please have a replacement router shipped out ASAP. 

Thanks