cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM Mis-sold Promotional Offer

R_Ada11
Joining in

On 4 May I was contacted by VM rep based in India. I was told as a long term  customer (since 2007) that VM are offering me "14 day trial offer" to receive faster broadband, 02 offer and extra channels.

I initially excepted the offer after being assured that I will retain my old contract if after 14 days I change my mind and that I will not incur any charges.

The rep proceeded to take my details to include my 02 mobile in which it was stated that I will get a new mobile number and that she required my direct debit details. At this point I refused to proceed with the offer as I did not want to change my number. But she will not give up. After refusing the offer, she removed the 02 provision. I still refused. Each time I refused I was put on hold. She will then persuade to change my mind.  After 30 minutes of this process, I relented after being assured repeatedly that that I will not incur any extra costs to my current monthly bill and as my contract is still valid for another six months there will be no changes either. The offer was £46.40 (for extra changes and faster broadband) for a package that is worth £89.

On the morning of 17th May I called to cancel the 14 day trial and was assured that my account will refer back to my contract prior to their offer and within 2-3 hours the extra channels were removed. Few hours later, I received an email that my account has been credited but my so called "credited bill" was £53!

I also later discovered, from my VM account that they changed my account for a new contract to commence 17th May. This included the offer of £46.40, £9.00 for changes to my contract and other charges.

From the 17th May, I repeatedly called VM Customer Services and was told that my account will be restored and that the "Compliance Dept" are handling this. After further calls they stop referring to this dept and I asked me to wait until they change my online billing.

I waited, and as the date for next monthly payment was due, I became concerned. I called and expressed my concern and was told NOT to pay this amount but to wait for the online bill to change.
I waited and incurred further charges. At this stage on May 27th I completed an online complaint.  I requested in my complaint to refer back to my original contract prior to their "special offer" and my monthly payment of £38.00 to be reinstated and a compensation for their hassle.

I was then contacted by their Resolution Team on 29th who confirmed by email "...after all the investigation in your account I see that you have called us dated 25/05/23 and you were advise by our advisor that your package was amended and going forward it will be GBP38.00.

Since then, I have been waiting for my monthly email confirming costs, which I received yesterday. Yet again, VM continue to charge me for a service I no longer and which I have declined, and have changed my existing valid contract without my request.

I will now be contacting VM, decline their fob-off resolution that doesn't settle things acceptably, and will be asking for a deadlock letter.  Failing to provide the letter,  I will take the matter to the Ombudsman.

The Consumer Contracts Regulations gives customers the right to cancel a contract within 14 days without any reason or penalty charges.  This has not been the case in my dealing with Virgin and as such I will issue a complaint with Ofcom.

In my case VM has cancelled my existing valid contract and proceed to put me on a new contract with higher monthly payment while at the same time claiming to give me a "bigger promotional bundle" without actually providing this service.

As such the outcome of their business behaviour and the contractual manoeuvring of the services that Virgin Media offered to me is at best mis-selling and dishonest, and fraudulent at worst.

In the meantime, maybe someone from VM will care to comment here before the situation escalates.

Views from forum members will be most welcomed too.

1 REPLY 1

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @R_Ada11 

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first posts.

Sorry to hear you are having issues with your billing since taking up a new package. We can understand the inconvenience caused and want to best help. In this case, to best look into this issue, I have sent you a private message. Please keep an eye out for an envelope at the top right corner of your Forum page. Let me know if you have any issues locating this.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs