cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband package - paying too much?

mikeydrelox
Tuning in

Hi

Apologies if I have posted in the wrong forum - please feel free to direct me elsewhere if that is the case.

I am wondering if I am paying over the odds for my broadband package - I don' have any other Virgin Media services, and am paying £47.25 per month for 125 MBPS.

I notice there is a Black Friday deal offering new customers 362 MBPS for £27 per month - which seems somewhat unfair.

Any advice gratefully received

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Mike,

You will have benefited from new customer pricing when you first joined and sadly won't be able to get VM to match that deal.

You can however negotiate a new deal. The standard out of contract pricing for your speed is currently £44.

The M50 package standard pricing is £38 a month should you want to cut your speed.

If you are out of contract you should speak to retentions and negotaite a price somewhere in between the new customer pricing and out of contract priicing, but before you do that compare pricing for other providers to use as a negotiating tool.

Once you've done that then contact them on 150 from a Virgin landline or mobile, or 0345 454 1111, but best to call at 8am when lines first open to avoid call queues.

Or if you don't want to be tied up on the phone then you can text VM on 0753 305 1809 or speak to the team on WhatsApp on 0730 532 7112.  

Replies from those two methods aren't instant, roughly around 4 hours at times, often longer, as telephone calls take priority dependent upon staffing availability and call queues

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Mike,

You will have benefited from new customer pricing when you first joined and sadly won't be able to get VM to match that deal.

You can however negotiate a new deal. The standard out of contract pricing for your speed is currently £44.

The M50 package standard pricing is £38 a month should you want to cut your speed.

If you are out of contract you should speak to retentions and negotaite a price somewhere in between the new customer pricing and out of contract priicing, but before you do that compare pricing for other providers to use as a negotiating tool.

Once you've done that then contact them on 150 from a Virgin landline or mobile, or 0345 454 1111, but best to call at 8am when lines first open to avoid call queues.

Or if you don't want to be tied up on the phone then you can text VM on 0753 305 1809 or speak to the team on WhatsApp on 0730 532 7112.  

Replies from those two methods aren't instant, roughly around 4 hours at times, often longer, as telephone calls take priority dependent upon staffing availability and call queues

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

First off you're not a new VM customer so comparisons with those introductory offers are meaningless. It's also worth noting that having a VM landline often attracts bundle discounts that more than offset the cost, so you're effectively paid to have a landline. What you do with that landline is of no concern to VM.

Saying that, it looks like the standard price for M125 broadband on its own is £44/month, so you're not paying hugely over the odds.

If you're interested in seeking a better price, then you need to price up alternative suppliers and then goto VM retentions ready & willing to disconnect to get another provider installed. And/or consider getting a landline installed to get the bundle discounts.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Many thanks to both of you for these helpful replies, I will put on my negotiating hat. A boost in speed would be nice so I will see whether I can get this for around the same price rather than asking for a discount - I do notice that I can get 290Mb from Shell Energy for roughly the same monthly fee