cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2023 new price shows 24% increase

leftsider
On our wavelength

I consider my current connection to be pretty good, but I just got the letter showing my new price and the increase is just under 24%. I was prepared for the (scandalous) 13.8% rise. When I called 150 the operator got flustered and told me the system was down and to call back tomorrow.

I’m afraid I don’t buy that.

Can anyone explain the huge rise please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The price increases are based on the non-discounted price. If you have a large discount, the percentage increase looks high.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

20 REPLIES 20

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The price increases are based on the non-discounted price. If you have a large discount, the percentage increase looks high.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

leftsider
On our wavelength
Thanks Ernie for the answer
Seems like a pretty sh1tty trick to be honest
I’ll call tomorrow about cancellation, as this increase is just too high to afford

Hi leftsider,

Like many businesses, we’re experiencing rising costs due to inflation. We are not immune to rising costs, primarily due to wider economic changes from rising inflation.

We’re seeing growing demand for data – with usage growing by more than 10% each year. Last year, we invested more than £2bn in our networks, which contributed to average broadband speeds increasing more than 40%, while helping to make sure our customers stayed connected and were able to keep using our services more and more.

Regards

Paul.

leftsider
On our wavelength

I understand that Paul.

my query was why my increase wasn’t 13.8% as is advertised everywhere?

my increase is 23.6%.

Given that I can get 1gb fibre with a TalkTalk or Sky for around the same price as M100 with TV (that I don’t watch) and a phone line (that is not even plugged in) will now cost, I am seriously considering leaving.

The only downside is that I will lose my Blueyonder email address which I’ve had for 30 years.

Honestly, I would accept a 13.8% rise. More than that is daylight robbery.

Hi leftsider,

Every customer will receive an individual price rise specific to them. If you wish to discuss your increase further, you can reach us online (virg.in/contactvm), by calling 150 from your Virgin Media landline, or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone.

Regards

Paul.

leftsider
On our wavelength

LOL

I did that Paul. Asked why the price had increased so much.

The flustered tech told me the system was down and to call back tomorrow. In other words he didn’t want to field the call.

it seems the system is down every time I ring.

Maybe Virgin Media should take some of the cash from the price rise and invest it in improving their awful customer services? 

@leftsider wrote:

LOL

I did that Paul. Asked why the price had increased so much.

The flustered tech told me the system was down and to call back tomorrow. In other words he didn’t want to field the call.

it seems the system is down every time I ring.

Yes, odd that isn’t it? Of course a more cynical person that I might well wonder if this wasn’t the latest (semi-officially approved) method of getting an annoying caller off the phone when the poor call centre worker is faced with a situation that isn’t on their pre-scripted list of responses! Probably better than the oft mentioned, ‘the call centre worker just put the phone down on me’ type response (although we have been assured many, many times on here by VM employees, that certainly no ‘agent’ would ever deliberately hang up on a customer - so we must conclude that they either are implying that any customer who claims this is outright lying, for whatever reason, or maybe, VM run the world’s least stable and functional phone system!)

Anyhow the seemingly excessive price rise; as mentioned above, the c. 14% rise is based on the full price of the package you are on, ignoring any discounts. So, imagine for a moment that you are on a package where the normal monthly price is £100 (just to make the maths easier), but you are still within your 18 month discounted probationary period wherein you have a £50 discount each month, so effectively you pay £50, yes? Now the price rise is based on the un-discounted figure so 14% on £100 is £114. 

For now, you still get your £50 discount, so you will now have to pay £64, the increase, from your perspective of going from £50 to £64 is actually 28%. You see an effective 28% rise in your bill, while VM insist that the rise is only about 14% - and you are both right! The devil is in the detail and the small print!

Odd that the CS agent wasn’t able to explain that, almost as if they aren’t actually trained to do anything other than read off a script in front of them!

leftsider
On our wavelength
That appears to be exactly the situation, but the truth is cunningly hidden in small print

I was sold (using your figures) a 50% discount, not a £50 discount. Now I’m stuck paying too much for the rest of my contract. FWIW I got the discount with TV and phone bundled in because that made it cheaper than BB alone. With the price rise this is no longer true, so I suspect I will be checking how much cancellation will cost and I can leave.