cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone service move to fibre

taylo63
Joining in

Hello.

I have today received the Fibre phone adaptor in readiness for the switch from copper for the phone service. However, I wasn't aware that the "new"fibre service for phone is totally dependant on there being a power supply!
So..If there is any type of power outage that impacts either the circuit that my router is connected to, or indeed a local power outage, the phone service will no longer work! Therefore, unless you a have a charged functional mobile phone in an area that has decent mobile coverage I will have no means to contact emergency services or anyone else for that matter.

In addition to this :-

Any fixed cabling extensions from the existing phone socket will no longer work.

My existing phone will have to be moved next to the router (because that is where it will have to be connected to ) 

Care lines, burglar alarms that currently connect to the copper phone service (and I assume will have to be connected directly into the back of the router) will no longer function in the event of a power failure either...

Can someone from Virgin explain why this is a"good idea" !!! 

2 REPLIES 2

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@taylo63 wrote:

Hello.

I have today received the Fibre phone adaptor in readiness for the switch from copper for the phone service. However, I wasn't aware that the "new"fibre service for phone is totally dependant on there being a power supply!
So..If there is any type of power outage that impacts either the circuit that my router is connected to, or indeed a local power outage, the phone service will no longer work! Therefore, unless you a have a charged functional mobile phone in an area that has decent mobile coverage I will have no means to contact emergency services or anyone else for that matter.

If you are a vulnerable customer, you can have an EBUL (Emergency Backup Line) installed. This will allow calls to 112 or 999 via the local mobile phone network.

In addition to this :-

Any fixed cabling extensions from the existing phone socket will no longer work.

These can be reconnected by having your existing master socket linked to your hub by a technican (for free) at the time your line switches over.

My existing phone will have to be moved next to the router (because that is where it will have to be connected to ) 

See my comment above.

Care lines, burglar alarms that currently connect to the copper phone service (and I assume will have to be connected directly into the back of the router) will no longer function in the event of a power failure either...

The companies running these moniotoring services are aware that ALL PSTN lines (not just Virgins) will be switched off in 2025, & mobile networks will have to take over the role of sustaining these facilities.

Can someone from Virgin explain why this is a"good idea" !!! 

It's not Virgin's decision. The entire UK PSTN network is now out of date & life expired. All landlines will be internet based from 2025.

Information from OFCOM linked below:

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/news-centre/2021/upgrading-landlines-to-digital-technology 

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Nathan_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @taylo63,

Thanks for taking the time to post about your concerns with the home phone switchover.

We recognise that some people will have some concerns but this is something that is happening with all providers and not just Virgin Media. 

In the unlikely event there’s a power cut or a broadband fault, you won’t be able to make or receive calls and most devices that are connected to your phone line (like care alarms) will be affected until the power or network’s back. Due to this, for those without a mobile phone or who may be vulnerable we do provide a back up system. You can read more on this here.

If you’re using any connected devices (including care alarms) that use your phone line, you’ll need to check with the manufacturer to make sure they’re compatible with our fibre network phone line. We’ve been working with alarm and telecare providers to make sure they know about our switch to a fibre phone line. 

We’ll also do our best to make sure you have as much info as possible before switching you over. If we think you use devices connected to the home phone, we’ll try to contact you to discuss your needs and decide whether our fibre phone line is right for you.

You can view everything you need to know about the switch over here.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules