cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CWBplaster
Joining in

Set up my kit today and seem to have a new phone number, when I did ask to keep my old one. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @CWBplaster,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your issue on the forums.
I’m sorry to hear that you haven't yet got your desired phone number on your account, if we cannot arrange the transfer from your old provider in time, you will be installed with a temporary Virgin Media number until we can arrange the transfer.

When did you ask for your old number to be added to your account with us?

Is the telephone number still active with your former provider at the moment? 

Regards,

Steven_L

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @CWBplaster,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your issue on the forums.
I’m sorry to hear that you haven't yet got your desired phone number on your account, if we cannot arrange the transfer from your old provider in time, you will be installed with a temporary Virgin Media number until we can arrange the transfer.

When did you ask for your old number to be added to your account with us?

Is the telephone number still active with your former provider at the moment? 

Regards,

Steven_L

I ordered my services several weeks ago, my old phone provider disconnected today. 

Thanks 

@CWBplaster wrote:

I ordered my services several weeks ago, my old phone provider disconnected today. 

Thanks 

Ah in that case you may well be out of luck!

This is something that we can't really blame either VM nor your previous supplier for, as it is all in accordance with OFCOM regulations which they are obliged to follow - although a bit more transparency and explanation of the setup, probably wouldn't go amiss.

Basically, if you request a port of a phone number, then the onus is on the NEW provider to arrange it with the old provider. But if in the meantime you have given notice to your old provider (and if you didn't know the gotcha, then why not), then that puts a 'cease flag' against the account. OFCOM rules state that a number port can only happen if the line is active and THERE IS NO pending cease notification against it.

In this case what should happen is that assuming VM do actually put in the port request (not entirely 100% reliable shall we say), it immediately fails because of the cease flag. Now the onus really is on VM to contact you and let you know of this (ideally they should let you know up front to NOT cancel with your existing supplier until this is done - but I suspect a large number of their sales staff don't actually understand the rules anyway), and ask you to contact your existing supplier and cancel the cancellations at least short term, to allow it all to be sorted. Obviously doesn't always seem to happen!

In your case, I'm afraid as your old contract terminated today, the number will probably have been released back into Openreach's pool of numbers - there is a slim chance that the forum team will be able to intervene and try to get it re-instated, but I'm not too hopeful.

Thanks for the reply. 

How do I contact the forum team? 

You already have, Steven_L (as above) is a member of the forum team, hopefully they will get back to this thread in a day or so.

Thanks.. 

Hi. 

Would it be possible for someone to look into this for me please. 

I phoned 150 on Tuesday and explained I asked to keep my old number, I was told my old number would be up and running by Friday 7th October but it still isn't. I don't even know what the new number is we have been given. 

Thanks.. 

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @CWBplaster

Thanks for posting on our community forum and sorry to hear about the mishap with your number port.

I'll drop you a private message now to collect a couple of details, please bare with me.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @CWBplaster,

Thank you for coming back to me via Private Message! I'm glad that we were able to help resolve your number porting issue.

If there's anything else we can do to help, please let us know. We're here if you need us. 🙂

Thank you! 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs