cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NO incoming calls on my BT Diverse 3016 cordless phone but Outgoing calls OK. Why ??

MoiraBT67
Tuning in

Hiya,

Just got connected 2 days ago on M250 fibre broadband + phone (weekend chatter).

Was told by engineer to wait 24 h for landline to be fully functional.

Found out yesterday that outgoing calls are fine but can not receive any income  !!

2nd engineer came this morning to say my phone is too old and I need to buy a new VOIP one.

Any idea why my BT Diverse 3016 cordless phone would work 1 way and not the other ?

Is there an adaptor for that as these VOIP phones are not cheap new ?

Thanks everyone.

29 REPLIES 29

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@MoiraBT67 wrote:

Hello Chris,

We are going around in circles here. If there was a problem with my handset, nothing would work. However, outgoing calls are. No incoming, no ringing.

Only 1 short quick ring can be heard from my mobile when calling then the call drops - which BTW gets charged by my mobile operator without even answering the call !

Reading the post of ncclarke80 dated 19.12.22 with the same BT phone as me, he encountered the same problem half way through his VM contract which does not make sense if it worked before.

I will contact him to see how he got on.

Thank you anyway.

The issues for nclarke80 started post-switchover i.e. moving from a telephone wall socket connection to a phone connection from the back of the VM hub.

It is the issue of running the phone connection via the VM hub which seems to cause problems for older handsets (90s and early 00s era typically)

The issues have included non ringing (often solved with the purchase of an adapter with a 'ringing capacitor' in it) and also one-ring-only problems (as in the case of the Diverse 3016 and some Beocom phone models).

nclarke80 did buy the alternative adapter and it did make an older phone work and ring but it did not resolve the issue(s) with the Diverse 3016.

Hello Goslow,

Indeed we moved from a BT wall socket connection to a VM cable connection 3 days ago.
Now temporarily using an even older corded phone without the ATA adapter provided by VM and it works.
I guess the BT Diverse will join the landfill soon.
Thanks for input anyway.

I'm so glad we did not go down the VM VOIP route !

Correction : Not an ATA but ordinary RJ11 adapter

Hi there @MoiraBT67, thanks for reaching out to us on the Virgin Media forums. 👋🏼

I'm sorry to hear about the issues with the home phone on the new VOIP line. 😞
May I ask if you received a little adapter from us when the switchover happened?
You should have received a small adapter that the phone line plugs in to, to which then goes in to the back of the Virgin Media hub.
Are you able to send an image of your setup?

Let us know.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hello Ilyas,
Yes the little white adapter (RJ11 ? ) was given but did not solve the problems about incoming call.
Sorry but I don't know how to attach a photo to my post.
Thanks.

Thanks for the reply @MoiraBT67 on the forums.

Are you able to hard reset your Virgin Media hub?
Pop a pin in the reset pin hole, located at the back of the hub / underneath the hub, for 40 seconds.

Let us know how the home phone is once the hub has rebooted.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

Very reluctant in rebooting anything as I don't want to loose what is working right now with an old corded phone. (Audioline Phone Easy Doro).

We are awaiting the loan of a more modern 2 cordless handsets phone as we also have lost the use of our second phone in the bedroom upstairs - not urgent ATM.

Hopefully we will be able to know where the fault is.

Thanks. 

Thanks for the update @MoiraBT67 with this.

And no worries, let us know how it goes when you get the phones.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

A BIG THANK YOU TO EVERYONE !

All your comments helped me in understanding how things work.

We have been lent a BT4000 digital cordless phone twin set. It works perfectly on the main handset for both out and incoming calls (2nd handset upstairs only incoming calls ATM but we'll work on it to sort it).

This BT model has a 2 pin connection on the BT lead and it works without the VM adapter to the hub 3.

So, again a BIG thank you to all. I have learnt a lot from this forum.